8.18.2005

Throw Me Tomorrow

8.18.05
4:38 PM
Why is it that radio stations (even good ones like 104.3 the classic rock station) play so few songs? I listen to this station about 30 hours a week at work, as it is the best thing out there. This station plays music from the 60’s through the 90’s and even some stuff from today (some Green Day, new Robert Plant etc.). Yet, even though that’s over forty years of music, I hear the same stuff, not just week after week, but day after day. There are over a hundred Bowie, Queen, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors etc. songs that have been recorded, and yet, I only hear 4 U2 (not that I really consider “Sunday, Bloody Sunday” a people pleaser), 6 Bowie, 4 Queen, 8 Beatles, 5 Rolling Stones and 3 Doors tracks. There are literally thousands of songs that could be played on this station, but they appear to only want to/be able to play 500. I understand about pop music stations not being able to play every track of an artist’s album. Singles have more mass appeal than other tracks, but still, how many Best Of albums do all of those abovementioned bands have? I know Bowie has about 20 and every song on each one is all about mass appeal. And Queen? You can enjoy every one of their songs, even if you aren’t gay or choreographing a zombie fight scene. I think a little later I am going to call the station and ask the DJ…

8:19 PM
Well, I tried for fourteen minutes to reach the DJ. I had five of the six phone lines dedicated to the task (I left one open just in case he tried to call me.) but nothing. That is one hard to reach DJ. If any of you have an extra time and if you want to help a brotha out, call 1-888-872-1043 and ask for me. I will pay you in body massage.
Oo! Someone just brought down a melon platter from an event held here earlier tonight.
Anyway, a woman eloped from the Hospital last night at 10:25PM. Security and I didn’t hear about it ‘til about 10:58 (see nurses will wait to report missing patients until the very end of their shift (11pm) since, if the patient is really missing, they don’t have to deal with it. Yes, that’s true.), when I was two minutes from leaving. I come in today and everyone is in a surly mood. I figured it had something to do with the missing woman. I mean, another patient eloped from our place, obviously this means more investigations and finger pointing etc. however, I just found out that last night the woman turned up a few blocks down at Mount Sinai…dead. This lady walked out of our establishment sometime around 10:30 last night and was found dead at Mount Sinai about two hours later. The reason we all just found out about it is that she cut off all her identification bracelets and such. Some genius decided that, hey, there’s a really big Hospital right down the street…maybe they know more than us (which is always an understatement). Now here’s the part that kind of freaks me out/pisses me off/disgusts me: because this lady had no friends, no family and no sponsor (she was a ward of the state) and because we have been under a lot of pressure lately (dead kids, wandering crazies, misplaced corpses etc.) there is going to be nothing done about this and it is going to be reported that she died of natural causes…here at the Hospital so as to avoid any (more) undue attention. I feel like I could now come to work naked, drunk and ending each sentence with “and my big black dick” and not only have no problems getting away with it, but also get a recommendation and a raise.
See, at one point I thought I was under some weird charm, some arcane force that rendered me unaccountable for my actions. Soon after that I realized it wasn’t that I was charmed, it was that I was imperceptible. Naught but a speck of dust caught in the grease that makes the cogs run smoothly. Now I realize that not only am I a teensy particle of dust, I am a teensy particle of dust in the grease on a cog that turns the axel of some diabolic and uncontrollable killing machine running rampant through some medieval village. Who cares about the state of things for a dust mote when this contraption is catapulting flaming dogs at men, women and children alike?
The only thing I really have to worry about is that a meteor (in this metaphor it represents God’s good grace and the State Dept.) might collide with this rampaging beast machine and blow the whole thing to shit and rotten, smoking dog bodies.
In other news, why do people even bother with honeydew when cantaloupe is just as readily available and fifteen times as tasty? I mean it isn’t that honeydew tastes bad, it doesn’t seem to taste like anything at all. Maybe I’ve just never had good honeydew. I’ll have to get on that.

9:45 PM
I’m feeling glum. I’m going to listen to Bowie’s ‘…hours’. Good mellow, hopeful stuff.

10:37 PM
Set up a lunch with Jeannie tomorrow. If anyone would be interested in joining us, let me know. We plan to meet at the N.Y.A.C. (180 Central Park South) at 1:15 PM. That means tomorrow I swim. ENDORPHINES, HERE I COME!!!!!!!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! I have to say, no real problems with fifty or sixty laps, but when I set my sights on seventy I get forlorn around forty. But then I just think of my rawk hard ass and everything gets better… You should all try it some time. Raaaaawk hard aaaaaaassss……

No comments: