2.26.2019

I'm Doing Stuff Too...OSCAR EDITION (BlacKKKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody)

Never known Spike Lee to make anything that isn't both brutal and beautiful, but those last few minutes...aw man this place is STILL so fucked up. The mix of empowerment and disempowerment is artful and crushing. Topher Grace is goddamn chilling with his "aw shucks" avuncularity, Jasper Pääkkönen is that horrid, unspeakable kind of redneck piece of shit that gets you mad just thinking about him, and Adam Driver has so many great little moments. The fact that so fucking little has changed since when this film was set is enough to drive one over the edge, but the worst thing is that the people who need to see this (the ignorant diaper bags who are actually portrayed in the film) will never see this. It's the same with climate change docs and all that science that they label as propaganda. Oh fuck me I'm so white and straight and liberal...

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, I feel that biopics that aren’t rated R can’t portray any real truth. At some point or other in anyone’s life/career, they’re going to say 'fuck'. A lot. I feel Mercury's slide into the world of sex and drugs and more of both was done rather toothlessly, but again, PG-13...can't offend folks...

And, speaking of teeth.

Oh my sweet chili peppers...the teeth.
The. Teeth.
Or, in his case the tteeetthhh.*

Did Malik deserve Best Actor? I don't know, I haven't seen the rest of the films. Overall though, I didn't really care about the film. It felt too much like a biopic about a really popular band. It was like, let's hit all these notes and that's it.

Whatever. I do think I am going to start listening to more Queen though. And I'd love to pick my friend Angie's brain, if she saw it. I am also curious what the film would have been like if Sacha Baron Cohen had played Mercury, as was going to be the case a few years back. I think that would have been an amazing performance and would have made for a much better movie.

I did see AND ENJOY The Favourite though...COLMAN!!! YEAH! I've loved this lady since she randomly showed up on EVERY BBC SHOW EVER IN THE EARLY 00'S. And now, everyone else does too.

Crack on, Olivia.

* Get it? Because he has too many?

No comments: