2.21.2019

I'm Doing Stuff Too... (Bone Tomahawk, Green Room)

I stumbled upon Brawl In Cell Block 99 a while ago and enjoyed it. I like where Vince Vaughn is these days. I was at a session and Brawl came up. Turns out my friengineer, Dan, worked on the next movie S. Craig Zahler did, Bone Tomahawk. Dan said if I liked one, I'd probably like the other. He also said there was a moment so brutal, that it might undo me.

I'm not normally a Western kind of guy, white hats, black hats, shooty bang bang, I get it*, but this...aside from the excellent subtleties these actors brought, the twist on the antagonists was phenomenal.

I spoke with Dan briefly as soon as THAT scene happened. We discussed how "dry" the film was, but score-wise and sound-wise. It really works.

I'm looking forward to Dragged Across Concrete, Zahler's most recent. Also his new film. Specifically because there's a guy with a mohawk in it who apparently has a really small dick...but he knows how to USE it, and THAT is what matters.

Then, I tried Green Room. All I knew of this was that Sir Patrick Stewart goes against type. I saw the A24 logo at the start and any fears that lingered were allayed. After ten minutes, I thought this was going to be a sort of Mid90s but for an underground punk band. Boy howdy had I misread the room...the...green...room. This is a tense, taut, tight, tinsel, tangelo, tawny thriller. Plus there's a dude in it named Macon Blair who looks a little like my friend Graham Skipper's chubby older brother.

These were a perfect accidental pairing and I'd highly recommend them both. Although, heads up, they both get a bit graphic.

* Although Val Kilmer is and shall always be my huckleberry.

No comments: