5.01.2013

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - April 2013

Just because I was on my honeymoon doesn't mean that I stopped listening to music or stopped complaining about said music to which I listened.
Duh.

Nine Inch Nails
I had the pleasure of seeing How to destroy angels at the Apollo two nights ago (April 29th), and, aside from the shitty seats (fuuuuck seated venues!!!11!!!!) and the shitty acoustics (I don't care that you are one hundred years old, Apollo, you sound awful. Have you ever heard something that is one hundred years old make sound? It's awful.), it was absolutely amazing. I had a clear view of the entire stage set up which, surprise, surprise, was unlike anything I had ever seen before. However, because of the distance from the stage and my just utterly shitastic vision, the first thing I did once I got home was watch the pro-shot, multi-angle video from their performance at Coachella a few weeks ago.
On top of that, just yesterday, a brand new (not so great) remix of "Keep it together" was posted, and, just today, the SONOIO remix of "The Space In Between" (the vastly-different-from-the-original version which they've been playing in concert) followed.
Look...there are a lot worse ways we could be passing the time until Nine Inch Nails starts touring and making new music again. As much as some of the more...rabid NIN fans hate the fact that Reznor is doing anything this isn't Nine Inch Nails, would you rather just have eight months of silence?
I didn't think so.
Now, eat your vegetables.

On the NIN front, lots of festival dates for this summer have been popping up, some with HTDA on the bill as well, but, as much as I'd love to see HTDA open for NIN, I don't believe that Reznor would ever be that presumptuous...I think...
I hate the mere concept of a festival (wait, I get to see a dozen bands I couldn't give a shit about if I tried, get sun stroke and get a truncated, daylight set from Nine Inch Nails while surrounded by drunken, drug-addled fuckheads who only want to hear "Head Like A Hole"?!) and will therefore not be going to any.
I will, however, download the fucking suck out of each and every bootleg that pops up.
Josh Eustic...what will you be doing....?

Beck
Wait...Beck?
Well, holy shit, is there a new album coming?
Ha.
Ah ha.
Ha.
No.
But, he is playing an electric set with his full band on Sunday, August 4th for Celebrate Brooklyn.
Maybe I can talk some sense into him...or kidnap him and get him to make me a new album that I can then complain about for not being long enough/enough like Midnite Vultures.
See you soon, "Loser"!!! Tee hee hah hah!!!!

They Might Be Giants
About a month away from the final IFC vinyl EPs. The only thing I know at this moment is that there will be a cover of Jonathan Richman's "I Was Dancing In A Lesbian Bar", a demo for which was sent out a few weeks back.
These...are going to be some fun records.



Whilst on my honeymoon in Britain and France, my wife and I spent about $300 on music.
Some from bands we had heard of, some from bands we had not.
I will be masticating, digesting and reviewing these purchases ON MY OW GOD DAMN SCHEDULE.
Maybe.
Among the spoils were:
  • Water Park OST by Dirty Beaches
  • Life After Defo by Deptford Goth
  • I Hear A New World by Joe Meek*
  • the amazing Pale Green Ghosts by John Grant
  • The Art of Disappearing by Herve
  • Monkey Minds In The Devil's Time by Steve Mason
  • Surgeon's Fabric compilation**
  • Bowie's The Buddha of Suburbia
  • Bowie's The Next Day
  • Shrines by Purity Ring
  • The Terror by The Flaming Lips
  • Within and Without by Washed Out
  • Dr. Dee by Damon Albarn
All that, plus a handful of stuff that was either not worth mentioning or that I already own in some form or another.



There's also this new group calling itself Primitive Race that has recently shown up on the internet. They've been playing games on Twiiter; promising to reveal the names of their band members once they reach a certain number of "likes" or followers, etc. At the moment, three of the artists involved have been unmasked: Luc Van Acker, founding member of the Revolting Cocks, Chris Vrenna of Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Tweaker and MY PODCAST!!!!!! and, most recently, Raymond Watts of PIG. The band is made up of "veterans from the industrial scene" and contains a "handful" of members and is "helping to distract me while I wait for Nine Inch Nails to do something", so, everybody's a winner.

Aaand...I'm done.
Hopefully, next month will bring something...more on Primitive Race...or, you know, new NIN music.
HAH.





* I'd actually heard of this from the days of They Might Be Giants' Clock Radio.

** Here's more info on the Fabric project. I'd be more interested if it weren't all house/techno/DJ shit.

1 comment:

Christina Bryant said...

Out of our haul, you forgot two of my favorites: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds oh so subtle, but really gets under your skin "Push the Sky Away" and the very very strong tribal-electronic-hip "Melt" by Young Magic. Also, Phantogram's gritty, dark, yet hip "Eyelid Moves" gets a very high honorable mention.

As I don't think you will ever listen to Dirty Beaches "Water Park O.S.T." because it bored the pants off you, I will review it quickly: the opening track Water Park Theme - Take 2 is absolutely sublime if you have a weakness for echoey cascading reverb soundscapes that play more with a sense of space than orchestration. The second track Floating Underwater Watching Waves can either be the most irritating bit of blip ever, or like an echoey metronome for pop and lock meditation. Phases has a wonderful discordant sound that reminds me of 1000s of wind chimes in trees in a desolate post-apocalyptic Japan, yellow skies and nuclear plants in the background. Canadian Prairies is a child's song on loop in an abandoned house in Silent Hill. Like the Wind is a bit too recognizable as acoustic guitar for me to find interesting. Good Bye Edmonton reminds me of a jingle from the world of Bioshock (am I luring you in yet Paul?). And thank god the last track is a Reprise of the first because I could listen to that for hours.