1.10.2011

Tabula Rza

1.10.11
7:26 pm
WELCOME BACK TO THE BINARY MOTHERFUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!
Anyway.
Sat down and did a bunch of work on "El Viaje de la Pesadilla" this weekend.
Stepped away from editing the main feature to work on some DVD menu stuff and some additional features.
I'm terrified this thing isn't going to fit on a disc.
Or, if it does, that the quality will be shit.
Whatever.
I suppose we'll see.
Almost half done, but I plan on grinding a bit to catch up with myself.
About 90% finished with AC: Brotherhood and suddenly things are happening so fast that bits of plot are getting left out and the game is feeling rushed; which is shitty as it's been great thus far.
Started playing a game called Amnesia last night.
Amnesia is a PC only game that's supposed to be more frightening than anything released in recent memory.
The sound is done very well, but my graphics card is a bit lacking so things either look choppy and beautiful or Wolfenstein and smooth, both resulting in shit gameplay.
I think I might have to go with the latter when I eventually start encountering enemies that can hurt me.
Actually, after about three hours of (veeery slow, cautious) playing last night, I finally encountered my first enemy that's able to kill me.
And they did.
And I was terrified.
I think the game is going to get more exciting from here on out.
Sounds can be very effective, but unless you can be harmed by the thing making the sound, it starts to get old.
That's actually a problem I have with most of the Silent Hill series (and the earlier Resident Evil games); in any one game there are only so many enemy types and they all make very specific sounds, so much so that you are able to enter a room, not see any enemies and yet still determine exactly what type of enemy is in the room and therefore ready yourself with whatever weapon is most effective against said enemy. Once they've introduced all the enemies, the ambient sound is less effective because you know it's only sound, nothing that can harm you. I haven't played enough Amnesia to know if it has the same problem, but I hope not.
Anyway, in Amnesia, you have no weapons, only tinderboxes (for lighting the lamps, torches and candles you find scattered around the gloomy castle) and a lantern, both which offer only a small respite from the darkness and are finite.
Oh, and too much time spent in the dark drives you insane.
Lot of tension in this game.
You're either holding a light which allows you to be seen by enemies or you're in the dark, losing your mind.
Other than the ability to light a lantern and carry it around with you, you can pick items up and throw them, perhaps for the purpose of distracting your unkillable adversaries, I'm not sure.
They've been doing a great job thus far, but I've only been scared once or twice, which might be a compliment based on my history with survival horror games.
There's been a slight Lovecraftian feel to the game, but not specific; merely mention of Algeria and tombs in the desert.
Graphics are a real bummer...
Will play more of that some time soon.
Sat down with Chris and watched the latest Jeunet movie, Micmacs.
It's amazing.
Buy it on Blu Ray.
Twice.
As usual, the casting is perfect, the characters are brilliant and stand out and the sets, costumes and props are incredible.
I haven't watched COLC or Delicatessen in a while, but this might be my favorite of his.
Highly, highly recommended.
I've also been watching my way thought the complete Superman Animated series from the mid to late 90's.
Doesn't hold up as well as Batman but there are some gems, specifically the first appearance of Mr. Mxyzptlk.
Great episode and great casting.
Hopefully the series will get better as it goes on, after all the "here's a new villain!" and "look, Superman has heat vision, oooooh!!!" episodes are over.
The next three are a three part story where Superman teams up with Batman.
Done and done.
Was able to check out Reznor's appearance at MOMA for the Times over the weekend.
He and Atticus Ross are now working on the score for the David Fincher remake of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".
According to him, it doesn't sound the same as the score for "The Social Network".
Also, the full length "How To Destroy Angels" album doesn't sound like the EP.
Honestly, that "news" is to real news what Twinkies are to food.
He did say that the goddamn deluxe/surround version of The Fragile is coming out some time around Spring.
I'll believe it when I pre-order the exclusive limited edition version and the redesigned tour t-shirt for $590.
Maybe.
Have an audition tomorrow morning for Athenos yogurt.
Yogurt.
*sigh*
And speaking of yogurt, Phil has started video blogging about his million word project.
Folks, I have never noticed how lush and full his eye lashes are!
That boy...whoo!
Is it all right if I come down there and sing to yoou?
I certainly hope so.
Because I've spent a lot of money on duct tape and Chapstick.
He also appears to be building a beard, as am I.
And Will, I believe.
We truly are three bearded friends.
I think it's gross how "beard" and "bread" are only one letter off.
Like, I don't want one in the other, are you nuts?
That's gross.
About halfway through The Word According To Garp by John Irving.
It has its ups and downs like he usually does but it isn't bad.
Also just started reading 100 Bullets.
If it doesn't get better, I'm going to stop.
All right.
I'm done.

No comments: