6.07.2010

But Wait!! There's Jews!!!

6.7.10
3:35 pm
I debated changing that title, but then didn't.
Over the weekend, I made lots of phat beats, played lots of Red Dead Rehoohoo and watched Schindler's List.
I'd never seen it before and the weather felt like a holocaust, so I decided, what the hell, right?
Goddamn what an incredible movie.
I'm not even going to try to slight it.
Only two things I've got are: How the fuck could the guy who did E.T. have also done that?
And, they made quite an effort to establish Ralph Fiennes as pure evil, THE quintessential Nazi, through his words and deeds.
They totally did it.
His complete and utter lack of regard for Jewish life was totally evident.
Totally.
But.
There was a moment, right after he'd spent some time killing random Jews in his camp with a sniper rifle for no reason, where he stretched, went back into his bedroom where we saw some woman he'd had sex with the night before and then went into the bathroom.
The woman said, "Put on the coffee!" And he replied, while pissing, "You do it,", in this detached, macho fashion.
I don't know, in a movie about the mass murder of millions of people, it seemed like bit much to show this guy was an asshole on top of being a monster, you know?
Little overkill, maybe?
But anyway, great movie.
Ben fucking Kingsley, am I right?
I should put together a Ben Kingsley Film Russian Roulette Festival where we put things like Species and Prince of Persia in with Sexy Beast and Gandhi and grab bag it until someone dies.

No comments: