4.17.2006

You're such a dirty, dirty Rock Star

4.17.06
5:11 PM
You know how movie starts and celebrities can some times seem a bit aloof? A bit condescending? A bit…”better than you”? Well, I have it cemented just why that is. Between Friday’s VH1 shoot and this morning’s Opel voice over recording, I have gleaned insight on the subject of why movies stars and celebrities feel that they are different than us. Quite simply because they are treated like living gods; and for a few hours, I walked among them.
On Friday, I arrived at North Six about ten minutes before my call time. I was sent to Lita for costume approval. Then I was ushered to the “principal” tent. After talking with a few of the other principal actors, I was called in for make-up. Blair gave me some powder and stuff and deemed me camera worthy. That was at about 11 in the morning. Between 11 and 4 (when the shot I was in was ready to be shot) I lived la Vida Rock Star. After a few more minutes under the tent, the higher ups said that me and my friend (my friend in the shot, not in real life, although he turned out to be a fun guy) could hang out in the motor home. We did. I met some very fun people in there. I will spare most of the details.
At one point, I asked someone when lunch was, I was informed it was to be later, in an hour and a half or so. I said that I would probably be able to hold out that long and that I missed the hot breakfast. Then I was clued in on the “Snack Tent”. It was less of a tent and more of a mini-mart. Aside from the dozens of snacks (Goldfish, lollipops, cashews, boiled peanuts, dried fruit, cheese and crackers, vegetables and dip, bags of trail mix, Cheetos and potato chips, WHITE CHOCOLATE COVERED PRETZELS, Raisinettes, Milk Duds, apples, oranges, Jell-O cups and more) they had a man whose job it was to stand around until someone wanted a smoothie. When someone wanted a smoothie, they went to him and he made them a smoothie. I found out that this type of Kraft Service is called “L.A. style”. Anyway, I’ll be frank, I abused the Snack Tent. Then, lunch arrived. By the Holy Gates of Babylon. There were five different types of bread, four different salads, a rice/bean dish that made me tear up, excellent pasta with both meat and vegetarian sauces and then there was the main courses. Since it was Good Friday they had swordfish (yes, swordfish…and it was delicious) along with a sumptuous chicken and a marinated sirloin steak that drove me insane. Then came dessert. Cake cake cake. Bunt, cheese, chocolate *insert Prince noise here*.
Anyway, long story short, these movie star types live this EVERY DAY, I am no longer surprised at their behavior. In fact, if I ever make it big, I am going to be hard pressed to not succumb to the Life.
And today was also excellent. I arrived at the studio a little early so I was sent into the lounge. Ohmygod. Three HUGE black, leather couches faced a 72-inch plasma screen HDTV hooked up to a top-of-the-line 7.1 system. There was a full bar and fridge, a pool table, a box arcade game with Galaga and Pac Man and a fully loaded jukebox. Aside from this AMAZING set up, there were autographed movie and play posters everywhere. To give you an indication of the caliber of the people they have recording in this studio, their bathroom had autographs from the full cast of Spamalot and The Rocky Horror Picture show. Along the hall leading to the studio I was in, I saw two autographed album covers: Tenacious D and some Jay-Z album.
As for the session itself, I have never felt more a part of the whole thing that this. At every recording I have ever been at, I read what’s written several times until they think they have it, and then I sit quietly while the production and editing people do their thing. Don’t get me wrong, I have worked with some fun people, but my role has been clear: the talent, just the voice. This was three people: the woman who actually found and assembled the footage (Lora), the editor (Joe) and me. We spent the first ten minutes just jabbering and once I got into the booth, everything went swimmingly. But when I came out, the THREE of us worked on lining things up, deciding which takes went the best with the video and discussing just how this phrasing made the image speak for itself while this one spoke for the image etc. Together. It was great. At the end, they both said they had a lot more fun then they usually do and I said the same.
To recap:
The last few days have been das shiznit because:
I had back to back acting gigs
I was treated like a living god
I was paid to Rock Out to Guns N Roses
I shot my first National on-screen work (since Shark Week) in two or so years
I recorded the highest paying voiceover of my career to date
I helped to edit said voiceover
I was guaranteed copies of both projects

I would say that the rest of this week is bound to suck, simply based on the strong start, but after tomorrow, I fly down to Florida and hang out with Phil while drinking in the cursed sunshine and (hopefully) being scared genderless by Silent Hill. All I can taste is victory.

P.S. The VH1 Thing is a promo for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, a show called “VH! Rock Honors” and for Rock itself and what it’s meant to people over the years. It should start airing May 1st. I was told it starts out with a windswept wheat field. I am very visible so keep an eye out. Also, although I should be getting a copy, if someone sees it before me, please let me know.
The Opel thing will not be aired, it was made specifically for trade show and the like, and that totally sucks. It is the funniest voiceover I have ever done. The gist of the project is that Opel (which is like the European “Ford”) is introducing a feature which allows you to test drive a car for three days before buying it. So the thing is what if you had three days to test drive everything in your life: your house, your vacation home, your job…and you wife. I shit thee not. Aside from the wife thing, almost all the video is tinged (or dripping) with sexual innuendo and it is hilarious. You’ll have to come over to see that one, but I promise it’s worth it.
Good times…

No comments: