3.22.2006

3.22.06
3:18 PM
The people here are, for the most part, so fucking banal I feel like a chartered accountant. When they aren’t reading right out of “The Great Big Fucking Annoying Book of Office Clichés” they’re just…actually, no, they’re only ever reading out of the aforementioned book.
“Wow, can you BELIEVE this weather?!”, “If THEY listened to me, things would be a LOT better here”, “I swear I’m going to quit unless ________, I swear!” (this one repeated at least 16 times a week for 8 to 36 years), “Boy oh boy I wish it was Friday!” etc. There are also person-specific catchphrases which are made worse by the personalization; specific annoying things that specific annoying people constantly spew.
However, it isn’t these workplace chestnuts that really bother me; it’s when two or more of these gasbags get together and just start bouncing the Mundane Chatter Ball back and forth. They’re like Furbies: chittering and hissing at each other about “man, this job is NUTS! I can’t TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!” (waves hands over their head) “Whoa! Don’t you quit without me! I’m coming TOO!” (points rapidly between them and the first one with wide “comical” eyes) “Hang on! Let me start copying my RESUME!!!!” (third one takes random piece of paper they are holding and turns in direction of the copier) (they all laugh) Click. Then they wander off to their respective posts and wait for some other dissident to stumble over and start the whole shit over again. Like bad NPC’s in a rushed and shoddy video game that no one will purposely buy.
There was a time when Phil was living here when he might have gotten a job in my department. THAT would have been pure rock since I’ve never worked (in the professional sense) with a friend.
Ye gods.
Anyway.
Anyway high-fived Nick Lachey stuck a pin in Jessica’s head and walked away…
I purchased Neil Gaiman’s American Gods and his and Terry Pratchett’s Good Omens (which was to become a movie directed by Terry Gilliam but fell through). It’s about time I read these. And if I dig these like dirt, I will check out Anansi Boys.
Totally unrelated (not really, there is a Gilliam connection), I watched 12 Monkeys last night for the first time in almost ten years and I totally got it this time. I love this movie. Anyone who thinks Bruce Willis is one dimensional should see this film. And anyone who STILL doesn’t respect Brad Pitt as a varied actor should also check it out. Gilliam in top form.
Yargh.
Fucking working.
I could have gone to a Prodigy concert tonight…

No comments: