7.20.2016

East Coast, West Coast, Everyone's A Killer: Entering Los Angeles

So. Yes. I am in Los Angeles (or El La, as people here seem to call it). I am here for a month (7/18 to 8/15) specifically to shoot a feature-length romantic drama called You & Me. As a primarily comedic actor, I'm relishing the challenge this role will provide. The script was written by my high school friend, Hillary, and her husband, Alex, who is also directing. I like the flow of it as well as the characters and the story, but, as I've said before, this is not my genre and I cannot predict what other folks will think.
But, I like it, and I'm here, so that should count for something.
I'm staying in an Airbnb in Altadena which I'm digging. I like the look and feel of the place; I could totally see some horrible, David Lynch murder taking place there. Something I genuinely consider awesome.
Anyone who knows me knows I am a massive creature of comfort who loves his creature comforts*. I am a media whore who enjoys the ability to have a sandwich delivered to my doorstep twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. In order to facilitate this addiction, I brought along my PS3 and a massively disproportionate amount of games, movies and TV shows, plus, there's Netflix. But, I'm also less than a half hour away from some great friends in a place absolutely teeming with culture and food, and part of me, the adventurous part that spurred me to walk from my hotel in Monaco ten years ago when I was there for a commercial shoot, buy a train ticket, and spend an afternoon in Italy is kicking and screaming and shitting itself at the idea of not being social.
We'll see what happens with that. I'm a weak man. But I am also a child who gets bored easily.
Plus, there's Uber.

Yesterday, my first full day out here, I met screen acting legend, Ms. Sally Struthers, who is playing my mother in the film. She is as delightful and ebullient as you would imagine. Then, later that day, at a wig store, I saw Rainn Wilson, trying on wigs. Absolutely bizarre.

I'm still experiencing the time difference, which is making me appear like a normal, functioning member of society, waking at 7:00, going to sleep at 10:00**. I'll be interested to see if my mind and body succumb to all the evidence around me, or if my stubbornness reaches my core and keeps me weird.

I've been to El La twice before, only for a matter of days; once for my birthday, when I stayed with Will, who made the trip amazing; we saw They Might Be Giants' thirtieth anniversary show at Royce Hall, then a secret Eddie Izzard show at the Largo, not to mention all the ridiculous food***, all on top of the fact that I was just getting to hang out with one of my best friends for the first time in years. The next time was August of 2013 for a disastrous awards ceremony. I was only there for two days or so, where, aside from exposing myself to the flaming train wreck of the first Geekies Awards, I also had a dinner with some friends celebrating my decision to leave my cockshit day job and go Full Retard with the acting.

I've never been anywhere that's not home for more than a week or so and this is a big deal. Mainly because Christina is planning on painting the living room now that I'm out of her goddamn hair.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but, then again, you're not paying me for this.

Right now I'm waiting for my turn getting hair and make up done for a camera test.

I'll keep posting updates if I remember and if  I want to.

* I call myself an Epicurean, although I know I'm just a soft, pampered baby bear

** AM to PM, you fools.

*** In & Out Burger is not good. It's not good burgers, it's not good fries, you people need to get over it.

No comments: