12.11.2009

I Am Electric Booooy

12.11.09
4:37 pm
Not really.
I'm not really Electro Booooy.
The skinny guy from The Mighty Boosh is.
I was pleasantly astounded earlier today to learn that eels' "Little Bird" (a track from their upcoming 2010 release "End Times") has been voted as one of the best songs of 2009 (www.spinner.com/2009/11/25/top-2009-songs/).
I mean, as far as I know, 94.467% of the world doesn't know anything by eels except for "that Novocain song where they're floating", "that 'goddamn right' song from Road Trip" and "the creepy growly voiced songs in the 'Shrek' movies".
Way to go, world.
And, of course, I know that these lists don't really mean anything except for the fact that one of my favorite bands is getting some attention. I used to be torn about whether it's good or bad for one's favorite bands that not a lot of people know about to get better known (man what a clunky start to a sentence...AND I'M NOT THROUGH YET!!!!!!!!!!); on one hand, if they're too little known, they disappear from lack of attention and money, but if they get too well known, you get the posers and Johnny-Come-Latelys (fuck, I love that term...I have just decided that the loser in a game of Ooky Cookie is called Johnny-Come-Lately...spread the word.) and their ticket prices and such go up and, god forbid, they sell out and start making shit.
But, I think the great thing about the five bands I really truly dig is that they don't make shit.
At least in my opinion.
That's actually something I was thinking about the other day; Nine Inch Nails' "The Fragile" set a record for dropping the furthest the quickest on the Billboard charts.
It debuts at #1 and the next week it's in...maybe the 30's? Not sure, but it was a big deal at the time.
Thing is: I have NO idea why. I get that it wasn't "The Downward Spiral 2" and that it lost a lot of fans, but, it was a new, 23-track Nine Inch Nails album after NOTHING substantial for five fucking years! It had more depth, dimension, textures, themes and everything than Spiral did and, although I know the headbangers who jerked off violently to "March of the Pigs" were pissed and took their ball and went home, I would have thought that NIN had a smarter, more open-minded, more dedicated audience.
AND it was very well reviewed except for the occasionally use of "bloated" or "overlong".
Why was this considered such a bomb?
Even Reznor said he didn't like it, albeit years and albums later.
Meh.
Who knows.
I'm way too close to offer an opinion.
Going back to the odd success of "Little Bird" (a simple, two minute, four-track recording), I'm happy, very, but confused, also very.
The second "single","In My Younger Days" is also, IMHOLOLROFLPUKE, great, but, just like "Little Bird", it feels typically eels, like what they've been doing since they were just E in a basement in L.A.
Shit, he's still just E in a fucking basement in L.A.
Why is this song suddenly the sixth best song of the year?!
I'm going to stop fretting about it.
Let go and let God, that's what I always say.
Let the fuck go and let the fuck God.
Let the fuck get ourselves some mozzarella sticks, na'mean?

No comments: