3.16.2019

Some thoughts on Captain Marvel

Never really been a fan of prequels, but I understand this film had a job to do and it did it just fine: introduce this ridiculously powerful character and show her being ridiculously powerful so we can just get right into that in Endgame. 
I could take or leave the whole 90's nostalgia thing. I was there. These things (slow internet, Blockbuster Video, No Doubt) existed. Cool.
I thought Coulson was kind of needless aside from establishing him and how Iron Man "wasn't his first rodeo". Again, this movie had some boxes to check and it did so.
I felt that everyone on Starforce except for Minerva had little to no personality and I didn't care if they lived or died. I was happy Lee Pace didn't use his silly now i am emphasizing things voice from GotG, but that's it, another rather needless character.
But, my biggest problem, the reason why I might never bother to watch this film again*...is that they pulled another goddamn Mandarin.
I was so excited to finally get some payoff from the Ten Rings thing in the first two Iron Man films and ON TOP OF THAT have Ben Fucking Kingsley playing the Mandarin! Then...nah. Yes, it was HILARIOUS to see him as the drug-addled Trevor Slattery, but I would have so much rather have had him be the Mandarin.**
Anyway, when they announced that there were Skrulls in CM, I. Was. In. The implications of that...Secret Invasion along with the events of Infinity War? Oh man, comic book crossover gold. But...nah. In another startling original twist that shouldn't have happened, Skrulls are the victims and there will be no Secret Invasion. At least not yet. I suppose, among other boxes that have been checked by this film, we can add the existence of Skrulls and their skillset to the list.
I was happy to see that the first post credit scene just skipped the whole "who will save us?" thing and just dropped Danvers in. Good. I want all 475 minutes of Endgame to focus on awesome shit. No catch up, no "why are we fighting?! WE'RE ON THE SAME SIDE!!!" stuff, just 22 films and 11 years worth of action in my eyes.
I'm also really hoping they've got a reeeeally good reason for there being a Spider-Man 2, and a Doctor Strange 2, and a GotG 3, and a Black Panther 2.

* I'm lying to your face, I have already pre-ordered the steelbook Blu-Ray.

** There was that Marvel One-Shot, Hail To The King*** that indicated there's a real Mandarin out there...and that went exactly nowhere. Maybe phase 5?

*** Remember those? I miss those so hard...

No comments: