9.01.2015

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - August 2015

They Might Be Giants

Dial-A-Song Round Up! pt. 8

"I Haven't Seen You In Forever"
Wow. A round. That is so goddamn old school... Love the "oompha" drums as well.

"Omnicorn"
Flans has stated that this has been in the works a while and it kind of feels like it's been overworked and tweaked to death. While the subject matter is great, the sound is a bit Disney Kids.

"Another Weirdo"
I don't think I've been this bummed that an instrumental didn't have lyrics since Nine Inch Nails released Ghosts I-IV. Way to hurt me, Johns.

"I Made A Mess"
This is what I want from Why?*: a freaking madrigal*** about making a mess.

"What Did I Do To You?"
In case you were ever wondering what too much kids music does to the Johns, you have your answer here, in this marvelous, glitchsynth backlash. Fantastic.

And, for the first time this year, TMBG did not have a show of the Music Hall of Williamsburg on the last Sunday of the month, but, they will return next month with Apollo 18 and every Sunday after that with more stuff! Stuff! WOO! STUFF!!!!

Beck & St. Vincent

Two of my favorite artists sharing the stage with Taylor Swift...
Hm.
Okay; if the three of them did a collabo a la Love This Giant, I'd be interested as fuck, I think it would be an excellent test of Swift's artistic mettle if nothing else, but my cynicism won't allow me to see this as more than a perfectly planned marketing gimmick for Beck to get global attention for his new song and (GODDAMNITMOTHERFUCKER) forthcoming album, St. Vincent to get more mainstream notoriety and Swift to get some artistic clout/cred.
Also, no one seems to have a clear copy of the whole fucking thing.



Richard D. James just wasn't producing enough stuff for my taste, so I'm glad he finally upped his game by releasing his first music as AFX in over a decade. It's an EP called fsd-mid1fht-galt598983%****, and I've reviewed it!!! Yes! Reviewed it! I!

Also released this month; the debut LP from the industrial supergroup, Primitive Race, consisting of performers and producers who've worked with EVERYONE in the genre for the past forty fucking years. It's pretty awesome, if you like industrial. If you don't like industrial...you probably shouldn't bother. Review here, if you would like to bother. Special attention should be given to their debut EP, Long In The Tooth, which is mainly PR and Raymond Watts, AKA Pig. This motherfucker...is filthy in the same over-the-top way that Larry Flynt was. Is. Was? Is Larry Flynt dead? Hang on... Nope, he's alive. Holy shit. Way to go, Larry!

And, finally, I discovered that Rasputina has released yet another album! Self released, it appears and that would make sense. For the most part, Unknown tends to ramble in a not-as-fun-as-their-usual-rambling fashion, but there are a few truly beautiful, haunting moments; specifically "Bridget Manners", "Indian Weed", "Untitled I", "Hymn Of The Wormwood Women" and the title track. Still haven't given up on these psychos and I never will.

* The new They Might Be Giants kids album, remember? Coming soon.**

** Real soon, not "Reznor soon".

*** I think this could be considered a madrigal...I don't think I know exactly what that is...

**** Just kidding, it's called orphaned deejay selek 2006-2008

No comments: