7.31.2015

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - July 2015

They Might Be Giants

Dial-A-Song Round Up! pt. 7

First and foremost, congratulations to "The Velvet Ape" for snatching the award for Strangest Dial-A-Song from "Sold My Mind To The Kremlin". Flansburgh is bringing the weird. Special bonus points for reminding me of Coil's "The Anal Staircase". I don't think there's an award for that, even a fake one.

Going from the oddity of "Ape" to the (somewhat uninspired) fun and pleasant mischief of "I Am Invisible" scores huge juxtaposition points. I hate the video for this, specifically the lead guy in it. Something about him makes me very uncomfortable.

"Rock Club" brings us another decades-old Dial-A-Song sketch made real. Originally titled "We Love All The People", this was an odd choice to resurrect, but Flans manages to maintain the overgentle wheedling from the demo. The video takes place in the same universe as that of "Summer Breeze". Which is awesome.

Rounding things off this month, we have another cover; Norma Tanega's adorable and 60's-tastic "Walking My Cat Named Dog". It's so sixties that it's almost featureless, you know? No? Ugh. Whatever. The video is super literal and super cute, as well.

Regarding TMBG's Lincoln show from the 26th (REVIEW HERE! WITH PHOTOS!!!!!!!!! FUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!); I was worried this would happen...aside from Glean, they have about a dozen brand new songs, none of which made an appearance at the show. I only hope this month was a fluke because they're tired from their trip to Britain. I guess we'll see next month...wait, no, TMBG aren't having an August show.
I seethe.

And, lastly in the world of TMBG, the upcoming children's album, the follow up to 2002's No!, has a title: Why?
I love these fucking guys.

Nine Inch Nails
"Apple Music is still a thing, you guys!" screams Trent Reznor, as he desperately throws two (really solid, actually) leftovers from the Gone Girl score up on the service. He then mumbled something about putting the entirety of said leftovers (five-ish) on a vinyl at some point.
Trent.
Shut up and put out the goddamn Fragile reissue.

Beck
Beck shows up on the new Chemical Brothers album. It's not great.

St. Vincent
Annie Clark shows up on the new Chemical Brothers album. It's not great.


I used the word "passe" earlier this month, which reminded me of the lyric "heroin is so passe", which reminded me of the song "Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth" by the Dandy Warhols. I then watched the video for "Junkie" (Zia McCabe is adorable), then for a song called "Scientist", then decided to listen to some of their music, as I'd only ever heard "Junkie".
After a few weeks to take in almost all of their twenty year, eight album discography, I've decided that I like their first album (Dandys Rule Ok) and I love their 2003 album, Welcome To The Monkey House*. It reminds me of Midnite Vultures with its electro-scuzz vibe.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, Alessandro Cortini goes and releases a follow up to last year's Sonno called Risveglio. I'm sure you remember that, right? Well, I FUCKING DO. And I reviewed it.

Finally, I had a chance to review the brand new Telepathe album (and it's about goddamn time). I am so happy it was worth the wait. Review coming in a few days.

* And its awesome, weird, Bizarro twin, The Dandy Warhols Are Sound.

No comments: