5.01.2012

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - April 2012

BITCH-CUITS AND GRAVY.

Beck
I think Beck might be mocking me...
Over the past month, he has released two covers: the kind of creepy oldie, "I Only Have Eyes For You" and "Corinna, Corinna".
He's managed to make the former even creepier and the latter features him and his acoustic guitar, nothing else.
While neither is a new album, I do enjoy hearing his voice.
He's playing a bunch of festivals this summer and maybe he'll tell his fans about a new album...or that he's retiring.

Nine Inch Nails
"Mulholland test drive of the finished new HTDA record".
Fuck you, Twitter, allowing artists to be even more vague than they used to be.
What the fuck does this mean?
That he played the album in his car while driving up and down Mulholland Drive?
That he went door to door playing the album for those who were interested?
Fuck!
Q1 of 2011 is lasting a HELL of a long time.

They Might Be Giants
Although they are no longer touring, the band is anything but silent.
Each week since their tour ended, they've been releasing their free podcast, stuffed with rare, live, weird and very weird tracks.
They're hard at work on the 2012 Instant Fan Club ringtones and their new album and EPs.
Plus, the IFC tumblr account, manned by Flans, is working with about 24 of turnaround time.
I'm running out of things to ask him.
The first of the 2012 IFC swag should be arriving soon...


Just at the start of the month, both Marilyn Manson and Garbage released music videos for their new singles.
And I WATCHED THEM.
First, "Blood For Poppies" by Garbage.
Somehow this radio friendly "hi everyone, we're back!" song feels incongruous with the flickering, black and white film grain of the video.
Oh, maybe because it is.
The video itself is an homage to a  whole bunch of old films which I can't remember from my college film classes.
On the whole, it isn't anything spectacular, although everyone looks great.


As for Marilyn Manson's "No Reflection" video?
Well, there are some vaguely Mormon overtones, some chicks sexy dancing while Manson holds (not plays, but holds) a guitar, and then all the girls at this dinner party smash up the place and then die.
Perhaps because they heard the whole of Manson's brand new album, Born Villain, which just came out on Cooking Vinyl Records!!!!
Honestly, this looks like it could have been made in the early 2000's.
There is NO new ground broken here.
Although I do like Manson's make up.


Switching gears to an artist with talent: for Record Store Day I bought a copy of St. Vincent's exclusive 7" vinyl release.
It features two songs, "KROKODIL" and "GROT".
They are loud and harsh and explosive and screaming and I love them...although I'm probably going to get them converted to mp3s because A.) I don't break out my record player that often and B.) I can barely understand what the fuck she is saying.
Did I mention the screaming?


Also, coming at the tail end of May, there is a new Scissor Sisters album titled Magic Hour.
Which, I think, has something to do with handjobs at sunset...I think.
After I found out this was happening (the upcoming release not the handjobs...although I did just say 'upcoming release'...), I relistened to the three albums the Sisters have put out thus far.
While Ta-Dah and Night Work both have some really good stuff on there, neither comes close to their debut, self-titled album.
I've heard a couple tracks off Magic Hour, namely, "Shady Love" and "Only The Horses" and, based on those, I'm sort of predicting the same thing; a solid album with some strong stuff and some forgettable stuff, none of which holds a candle to their first release.
And, honestly, I'm fine with that, as their first album is AMAZING.
Here's hoping.


Around the end of April, the music video for "Only The Horses" appeared on scissorsisters.com.
It features horses and paint.


Stuff I've Been Overlistening To

Marilyn Manson - Murderers Are Getting Prettier Every Day
Not that the song is so amazing, I just want it to make the rest of the songs around it better.
Music doesn't have an associative property, does it?

Nine Inch Nails - Get Down, Make Love
Originally a cover recorded for their "Sin" single, NIN started playing this live on their first tour in 1988, and, aside from their Lights In The Sky tour in 2008, have played it on every tour since.
The studio version was produced by and features Al Jourgensen of Ministry on guitar and, sorry Freddie, it's better than the original.
Or at least a lot angrier.
I took myself on a tour of the song's live performance evolution over the years and have determined that my favorite version is from the Self Destruct tour from the mid-90's.
The song remains whimsical and a bit silly, but with the fury that permeated that entire tour, a fury that's further enhanced by bassist Danny Lohner and guitarist Robin Finck screaming "Get down!" and "Make love!" at the top of their lungs in the background.
I also enjoy Reznor changing the line, "You say 'it's enough', looks like it's too much" to "You say 'it's enough', looks like it's too big".
Heh heh...dick joke.

David Bowie - I'm Afraid Of Americans
Not really.
I just listened to the EP that has every interpretation of this song that Trent Reznor (and Ice Cube?) could come up with.
Plus a shitty drum 'n' bass remix than none of them had ANYTHING to d with.
But three looks better than two, so yeah.

No comments: