7.29.2011

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - July

Drink this Whine and know that I am Bitch...

Nine Inch Nails
Well, if we're going by the dictionary definition of "nothing" then I can't really say "nothing".
I suppose it would be more fair to say "two small things".
The first small thing: Reznor posted his public profile on Spotify, the new (in the US) music sharing program that seems at once to be the best way to advertise a band (by letting people listen to anything and everything they've done) and yet another nail in the record industry's coffin.
But, yeah, Reznor put his profile up on it.
Which proves only that he is alive...or that Rob Sheridan is posing as Reznor on the Internet.
The second small thing, which isn't really small, just sort of...I don't know, irritating in a way: There was a new picture posted on the How To Destroy Angels web site of a small stack of Starburst candies on a console.
It's entitled: recording.
Now...sorry to bitch but, well, read the title, slugger...Reznor said that the HTDA album would be out in "Quarter 1, 2011", which means that the album, which, as of last week was in the process of "recording" was due out four months ago.
In a later interview, he said that is was being mixed this summer.
It's officially "this summer" and yet they are still "recording".
I understand completely that a problem in mixing might lead to some additional recording, but...
Oh never mind.
I think the next few Monthly Music Bitchfest Nine Inch Nails sections will contain the phrase "blame it on the baby".
Next.

Beck
Beck.
Beck, Beck, Beck.
After producing the latest rip-roaring speed metal album from Stephen Malkmus and the Jinks, Beck is contributing some tracks to the new Dwight Yoakam project.
This I get because Beck is a huge fan of his and some of his music is greatly influenced by the Yoakster.
But, according to Rock God Mr. Malkmus, Beck is also looking to start a small, private publishing company, a place to publish writing, drawings etc.
Beck: release new music soon of feel the wrath of Thor.
Not a threat.
A promise.

They Might Be Giants
The band's triumphant return to death-affirming music has taken place and the new album is growing on me nicely. Still not as musically diverse or catchy as "The Else", but a solid release.
They're about to launch their huge, globe-spanning tour in a week and that will hopefully result in a lot of crazy fun live shows.
In a recent interview, Flans was asked about possibly doing more children's music; he responded that if they did, it would veer away from the educational, allowing them to "write songs in a more open way".
I think that's excellent as that is how their one and only excellent kid's album, "No!", was created, and, while I'd obviously prefer more "adult" music from them, at least that will allow them to make that cash without having to make that shitty, boring music.
Also, as one of the thousand members of the They Might Be Giants Instant Fan Club (you can find my name, along with Jade's and nine hundred and ninety eight other lucky pups listed in the liner notes of the digital version of "Join Us"), next month I will be receiving two exclusive vinyl EP's, one of the band's "Other Thing Brass Band" performances (which might go up for sale at some point) and one of four not-going-to-be-released-anywhere-else-ever-or-at-least-for-right-now tracks recorded specifically for the Instant Fan Club.
Now that is some cool shit.
I'm still set to see them today along with a tonne of other folks.
Come and be with us, it's free and we'll be sweaty...oh, so sweaty...

Eels
Eels have just kicked off their North American tour and I'll be seeing them a day after TMBG.
Still no new album on the horizon and, still, I am comfortable with that.
After the 30th, I might put them on the Passive Bitch Roster...which is totally a real thing.

Cake
Remember how I just mentioned the Passive Bitch Roster?
Which is totally a thing?
Yeah, congratulations Cake, you are the first addition to this thing, which is real, totally.
Basically, these eco-twerps haven't made a sound regarding anything since they released "Showroom of Compassion" in January.
There's that weird made-from-recycled-feelings book relating to their track "Bound Away" and some music videos, but not even a whisper since the (I am now 100% convinced) lie about having as brand new album out by the end of this year.
So, until something comes up worth talking about, Passive Bitch Roster Xmax, you snide little janglers, you.

Quite a bit of movement on the Not My Five Favorite Bands front...
First off, remember when, a month ago, Marilyn Manson was going to release the title of his new masterturd in a week?
Well, he didn't.
I don't blame this on his innate desire to make his drooling, tasteless fans bark and dance with anticipation like Bijon's with Snausages...I'm convinced he simply forgot about it.
Not forgot about the announcement, but, rather forgot about the new album that has been completely finished and has been for months.
Wasn't there some band or artist who had finished a whole album then totally forgot about it because of drugs and then recorded another brand new and completely different album?
The Doors maybe?
Hm.
If not, then Marilyn Manson might be the first.
While he isn't doing anything musically, he has contributed a painting to an auction on behalf of one of the guys who was maybe wrongly accused of murdering some kids some time ago.
The...Muskrat Three?
Something like that.
Whatever.
If the sale of this painting goes towards getting this guy (Damien something...Echolis? Echois?) out of jail, he's going to have to think of Marilyn Manson every time he thinks of his freedom.
I might pick the death penalty...
Which is, incidentally, the new single off Manson's as-yet-unannounced-but-totally-amazing-and-musically-viable-trust-me new album, "I Might Pick The Death Penalty".
Coming soon to a disinterested teenager's iPod near you.

In the world of Garbage: WOO! About a week ago, the Garbage website (which hadn't been updated since mid-2009) was replaced with the band's name in pink on a black background and the words "coming soon" as well as links to their Twitter and Facebook pages, both of which have been abuzz with stuff over the past few days, including pictures from the studio and a handful of in studio videos.
Recently, Manson told MTV that the band has 24 songs ready and they're polishing/whittling them down.
Very excited to see what's coming next from them.

Since last month, Tori Amos has put up the cover art for her September release, "Night of the Huntress", on which she looks like a (slightly) young(er) Angelica Houston.
She's also announced a slew of UK and US tour dates, including a show at the Beacon on December 2nd.
I'm split on this one because the two times I've seen her before, she really did put on an amazing show (she gave me a danish at one!) but here recent stuff has been so shit and I'm not really that interested in seeing her and a piano.
Have to wait on this one, which probably means I'm not going to get in.
Life...sometimes...is not fair...to the attractive, well off and white.
But somehow...we...I...carry on...

St. Vincent, meanwhile, has done one better, posting cover art, the track list, tour dates and a song from her new album, "Strange Mercy", also due out in September. The track, called "Surgeon" has some phat beats and hyper funk riffs. It starts out sounding a bit like "You Only Live Twice", then it feels very summery until the last minute or so when it feels very summery-in-the-80's with some crazy synth stuff going on.
This track makes me feel good about the new album.
As jaded as I may appear, I did get some tingles when I clicked on my Winamp and heard the beginning of this brand new music.
This usually happens with new music.
Especially when I love everything I'm hearing.
Her first tour date is in August at the Met.
For $25 I think I'll be there.

I believe that's all for this month.
At the moment, Garbage and St. Vincent seem to be the light at the end of the tunnel for me.
As far as NIN and Beck, who the fuck knows when something is going to happen, TMBG, Eels and Cake are touring and probably aren't going to have anything new for a bit, Marilyn Manson...thinks he's Lewis Carol and Tori's track record is just too spotty.
But Garbage and St. Vincent are consistent.
They will be my Rock of Ages.
My Rock of Rock.
And Shirley Manson is still super hot.
It's made from girrrrderrrrs....

No comments: