9.17.2010

Cake, No Sodomy*

9.17.10
3:32 pm
Yes. Cake.
Yesterday, I took off from work to see Cake perform at Summerstage IN Rumsey Playfield. Up until Monday I didn't know the two were the same thing.
Thank you Central Park Recreations Committee, you scum.
Anyway, my sister and I showed up unnecessarily early (about 4:45 for the 8 o'clock show) and were STILL 5th and 6th in line after three people who were fast asleep on the ground when we got there and two guys sitting on a rock trying to look interesting.
Things were fine for a while, the power was being switched on and the instruments plugged in and then Cake started sound checking.
Then came the Thunder.
Then came the Lightning.
Then came the Flood.
For a solid ten minutes, the world kind of ended...all with Kathy and I huddled under umbrellas.
The sky was green/yellow/gray.
And wet.
Then it stopped.
Eventually, the music started again and Cake played about five songs (missing a horn or vocalist here or there) and we knew things were going to be okay.
Soon, a lot more people showed up including Lisa and her sorority sister, Lindsey, who, apparently, has been hearing stories about me for ten years.
I certainly hope I delivered, although without my army of dildos and whatnot, I don't know if that was possible.
All the more reason to have a few on me at all times.
More the fool I.
Lisa came equipped with four cup cakes in order to have cake...at Cake...get it?
Well, some guy announced that that was "clever", although his subtext was so clear he might as well have just screamed "I WANNA CUPPY CAKE!! ME ME ME!!!!" while tearing his face off with his teeth.
Pseudointellectual smarminess is no substitution for cup cakes.
Fucker.
Anyway, we were dead goddamn center on the railing for the whole show.
It was very much along the lines of their show last year at Terminal 5, except it wasn't raining inside Terminal 5.
A few tracks I didn't hear last time like Pentagram (a real treat as it's one of my favorites from their first ), Shadow Stabbing and a new new one called Away (which has a very Mexico feel to it) although I would have loved to hear Italian Leather Sofa and Short Skirt Long Jacket again.
They had the typical long-ass-sing-along to Jolene, Sheep Go To Heaven and Sick of You as before, plus the tree giveaway, all of which could have been replaced with an extra song or two, but, whatever, it's their show and it was fun.
Plus, fina-fucking-lly, they announced the new album title and, praise the Bulbous Melon of Goodness, a release date.
"Showroom of Compassion" will be released on January 11 or 18th, 2011.
Why it's taking them over four months to release an album which has been done for six weeks and anticipated for six years is something I'll never accept, especially in the age of Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Beck and a ton of other artists just self releasing their new works the moment they're mixed over the Internet.
Come on, releasing it on the Internet with save some trees.
You like trees, don't you?
You whiny ass hippy fucks...
Whatever.
The date has been set and it'll be Day One for me whatever the case.
I have to say though, getting twelve or thirteen new tracks (three of which you're pretty familiar with from their live show) after six years?
That's kind of harsh.
I understand that Cake aren't really the "double album" kind of guys, but throw us a bone here, please?
I was thinking of just asking them last night what took them so long, but that probably wouldn't have been received as the well-meaning, genuinely curious question it is.
Meh.
We'll see.
After the show, we staggered home and watched Clue.
That movie is still one of my favorites and, check this shit out, Tim Curry wasn't the actor originally considered for Wadsworth.
Now, I can imagine what you might or might not be thinking, who else could possible do as great of a job with role as Tim Curry?
Rocky Horror Picture Show?! Hellooo? Helllooooo?
How about Rowan Atkinson.
Or maybe John Cleese.
Yeah.
I suddenly wish I could dimensional hop and see those two versions of Clue.
Can...you...just...imagine...?
Augh.
Pain.
BUT, I take solace from the fact that, in some other quantum eventuality, another version of myself is, at this very moment, writing about how cool it would have been to have Tim Curry as Wadsworth.
*quantum sigh*
Changing the subject.
Reznor has been teasing us with the promise of hearing new music this week and, sure enough, this morning the Null Corporation, Reznor's new self run label, posted a new link on their website (http://www.nullco.com/) to the Social Network soundtrack pre-order page.
As usual, you get some free stuff.
Namely, five tracks from the score (which feature heavy titles like Pieces Form the Whole, Eventually We Find Our Way and The Gentle Hum of Anxiety).
You can also pre-order the soundtrack in its three physical forms: a CD for $8, a 5.1 surround sound Blu Ray disc for $20 and a double vinyl for $25.
With each pre-order you receive the five track sampler and the promise of the entire soundtrack delivered to your e-mail via a link at midnight on September 28th, four days before the movie drops.
AND from the 28th to the 30th, the whole thing will be available on Amazon as mp3's for $2.99.
19 tracks for $2.99.
Hey, Cake?
Fuck you.
I've been able to listen to those five tracks once or twice and they're good. A bit more involved that some of the Ghosts stuff, which feels a bit linear at times, and a bit more surprising as well.
Reznor seems to have followed up on his promise to "practice piano more" in his spare time.
But, how excited can I really get about a movie's score?
I'm excited for new Reznor music, but, no matter how compelling an instrumental piece of music is, I really have never found myself that into the genre.
Even now, I'll only listen to a handful of Ghosts tracks when I'm feeling...I don't know...atmospheric?
Whatever.
The music is good and, apparently, the movie is great.
Quite a few reviews have popped up for The Social Network and all of them speak well of it, most mentioning the soundtrack favorably as well, specifically, there's a rowing scene that keeps getting brought up.
So I guess Reznor, Ross and Fincher found a way to make all this dark-ass, moody music work with the story of Facebook.
Way to go guys.
I think that might bring me up to today.
Oh, I also picked up Space Invaders Infinity Gene from PSN yesterday.
Basically, it's Space Invaders fallen through a black hole and into the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey and everyone had done acid and cracked techno music to 11.
Mind.
Blowing.
One last thing, I downloaded a HUGE torrent of Warren Ellis graphic novel and comic stuff.
This man...is sick.
He also writes angry Brits better than anyone I've read.
He has his own Zombie Apocalypse title called BlackGas.
I've read the first mini-volume (three issues) and it's different from the typical zombie thing already. Hard to do these days.
I recommend it to any zombiephiles.
Also, his Emma Frost is the truest I've ever read, I can't imagine anyone voicing her better than him.
Going to Eels alone next Saturday.
Bummer.
Okay.
Fin.



*A little sodomy.

No comments: