8.02.2006

Get down, make love

8.2.06
8:14 PM
Last night I went to the J. K. Rowling, Stephen King and John Irving reading thing. It was the mad shizzle. I knew they were going to delay putting the authors up there because there’s no way any of these guys were going to read for 45 minutes each, but I didn’t know how they were going to distract us. First, Whoopi Goldberg (who read a King short story for an audio release a while back) came out to introduce all three and tell everyone what this thing was about. Then Kathy Bates came out to introduce King. Not only has she been in both Misery and Deloris Clairborn but she has also recorded several audio books by King. He came out and read the Pie Eating Contest segment from The Body (which was later turned into the movie Stand By Me). After him, Andre Braugher (from Homicide and other stuff) came out to introduce John Irving who read an excerpt from A Prayer for Owen Meany (the only Irving I’ve ever read so that was cool). He did a great job and even did the cracked falsetto of Owen, and very well, I might add. Then fucking Jon Stewart came out to introduce Rowling. She read a chapter from her sixth book and it was during her reading I came to realize what it is about her work that makes me stupid. There are absolutely NO metaphors, similes, or any other literary devices of the kind in her work. It’s all either descriptive, narrative or dialogue. No wonder going from her shit to anyone else’s is so hard. She has a great imagination (like the Wachowski Brothers have a great imagination), but she can’t write for shit. Points for the accent though. Then she had 3 or 4 pre-submitted questions asked of her and after that Irving and King came back out and answered another few (pre-submitted) questions each. Rowling and Irving got tossed some good questions, but King got a bunch of textbook you-would-know-the-answer-if-you’ve-ever-read-an-interview-with-King questions. It was still an awesome experience and (happier still I become!!) just today I bought tickets for the interview/discussion/q and a/signing for King’s new book Licey’s Story, coming out October 24th. I have NEVER been to a book signing and I’m looking forward to actually meeting King and telling him what a creepy bastard he is. I’m assuming he will return the sentiment. Actually, the more I think about this, the more excited I become. With Reznor and TMBG, they’re used to creepy, obsessed psychos screaming around them all day and following them and threatening to steal their children, but King is a writer and I think what he does is so much harder than what Reznor and TMBG do and therefore I respect and value him more. I think. This is going to be great.

Also, I went swimming for the first time in MONTHS (literally) and when I was at work later that day I was overcome by a good sort of tired that you only earn from burning off endorphins. I still had about three hours to go and I couldn’t just take a nap, so I turned to this computer and created nine short films. As of today, I have filmed and edited four of the nine and should (hopefully) have them all done by Saturday. With this DVD burner, I FINALLY have the ability (by combining the forces of my Acid Studio, my camcorder’s meager mpeg creation capabilities and the Nero software that came with the burner) to write, film and create a project without any real limitations. Sure they’re lo-fi and short, but brevity is the fucking soul of wit. And I am witty as hell. I tell you, this DVD burner, which appears to now be working (knock on wood like a motherfucker) is a genius tool. I am going to put these finished films up on youtube and myspace because, seriously, what the fuck else am I going to do with my youtube and myspace memberships? Thank Grod those were free.

Hopefully, by the time I get home tonight, a NIN concert I have been trying to download for the past 6 days will be finished (also knock on wood like a motherfucker) and I can move on to other things. It is a top quality bootleg video from the first leg of their tour before they got all LED screened out. Both picture and sound are apparently excellent xmax. Aside from that one, I yearn for the 100% show I attended at Madison Square Garden (which has no fucking seeds at the moment) and the one either right before or right after that in Philly since both are supposed to have excellent video and audio as well. As soon as I burn this one I have going on now, I will delete the huge motherfucker from my hard drive (4.2 GB) and get last week’s Nightmares and Dreamscapes (they are doing a pretty good job with it I think) and then BURN THEM TO DVD TOO!!!! I’S BE A DVD BURNIN’ FIEND!!!!!! Yas’suh! I’s gwanna burn dem tings til my hade foll ouf!!! Laws a mussy!!!

Two more Beck tracks have shown up on the Net (Internet). One is called “Nausea” which isn’t that great and the other is called “Think I’m In Love” which is as cute (or cuter) than it sounds. The two songs have the simplicity of Mutations with a bit of the sort of bluesy twang from Odelay and Mellow Gold. So far these three tracks do not seem to be just a bridge between Sea Change and Guero, but rather a collection of sounds from all his albums. Hopefully I’ll flip over the rest of the tracks like I did over “Cell Phone’s Dead” (which still rocks my cock to the left and the right, gets me hard in the middle of the night).
And now, I shall urinate.

No comments: