3.17.2010

Super Mutant Brute's Head is Crippled!


3.17.10
8:28 pm
I have just finished the fifth and final book in Jack Vance's "Demon Princes"...quintilogy?
And now I must accept the fact that I will never write anything NEAR as well as this guy.
The story itself is nothing spectacular: A man named Kirth Gersen witnessed his family (except for his grandfather) killed by a coalition of bad guys (the "Demon Princes", humans all, but so evil in their deeds that they were named as such). spends years and years becoming a super bad ass assassin killer, then kills the five guys responsible.
Like most well written works, it's the simplicity that allows such expansion and nuances.
The writing...oh...so tasty! So fulfilling!
Every exchange is laced with acrid wit and the ridiculous detail Vance imparts his worlds with!
Such richness! Such depth!
Yow..
This wallybollicks...can WRITE.
Three words: Whippery. Ned. Ticket.
Done.
Depending on Phil's guidance, I might pick up "Planet of Adventure", also by Vance.
I remember him speaking fondly of it.
Aside from "Demon Princes", the release of the new Gorillaz has prompted me to reread "Rise of the Ogre", the Gorillaz story from the perspective of the band.
Man is that fiction enjoyable.
I wish there were some official lyrics out there somewhere...
The bits and pieces found on "official" lyrics sites are laughable.
After Ogre, if I don't pick up Planet, I have only one more published Dresden Files novel to read before I'm chomping at the bit like some overweight housewife who eats chocolate all day and dreams of putting strange black men in her mouth because the flame has gone out with her middle management husband.
You know.
Changing the subject: This weekend, there will be a picnic!! Picnic's are Fun!!
Food, Fun and Funyons!!!
Mmm...Funyons...
Those things are awful.
I recall driving home after my Junior Prom/Phil and Will's Senior Prom.
Phil and I had both abandoned our dates somewhere (Will stuck with his, perusing his gooey dreams of forced anal intercourse with the class Valedictorian, Hooper the Dolphin) and, in our evening wear, picked up a large bag of Funyons at a 7-11 before returning to his place to hang out.
Those were truly the day of bros before hos.
Totally hetero bros before hos.
Hete-bros before hos.
I could continue.
So dies this year the "annual" "tradition" of BEECHOUZATRONICON XMAX and, while it would be amazing to think that a newer, more...adventurous tradition is crowning, I fear the womb shall bear no more fruit after the upcoming mid-West gavotte planned by Phil, Will, Diane, Grace, Chris and myself.
DO NOT get me wrong, motherfucker, I'd love nothing more than to make THIS the "New Hotness", but I fear that those involved (present company massively excluded) are far too busy to do anything yearly more than once.
Like Gondwanaland, we break apart and slowly drift away.
I could have said Pangaea, but Gondwanaland is much cooler.
I have once again stepped willingly into the void of Fallout 3 (Game of the Year Edition this time with SEVERAL MORE HOURS OF VOID!!!).
It's...big.
Very big.
And it's the closest thing to time travel you can get without sustaining a head injury.
You sit down, look at the clock, 1:09, you'll play for an hour, find a certain item here and then be done, then it's 4:53.
1.21 gigawatts my balls.
You need a PS3 and a copy of this game.
Finally, just started watching THE BRITISH VERSION of "Life On Mars".
Hey, guess what...it's pretty good.
Oh, I've also started chewing gun again.
Just, you know, FYI.

No comments: