6.08.2009

Oh Weekend...(part 2)


6.08.09
First things first: the state I'm in right now, I should NOT be on the streets.
I almost killed three people today, merely for walking slower than me.
This does not bode well for humankind...
Now, the Second of the Two Most Busy Weekends of My Summer.
Friday went better as far as waking up and spending all goddamn day at work, apparently I had gotten more sleep.
BUT
I was starting to feel low energy and sicky poo.
"Excellent timing, God," I said to God, "excellent timing you celestial cockhole".
So after work, I went home and then traversed my way with Li'l Miss Birthday to Khyber Pass.
Fun fun!
Good food, got to meet Natalia's finance, Tim, who is excellent, saw Amy Pugh who I haven't seen for about 6 years, got to welcome Jeannie (the Jean Genie to those in the know) back and again, the food was stellar, pumpkin turnovers with yoghurt sauce, meat with meat dumplings and yogurt sauce and remarkable baklava.
And more yogurt sauce.
Afterwards some of the diners walked through the drizzly night to Mahenata's (or however those Godless Heathens pronounce/spell their Temple of False Moustaches) where we met up with a few more birthday soldiers as the night pashed on.
Sadly, I did not have as much fun since my head was beginning to feel like the guy head from MTV's The Head...you know? and the brilliant electric oboe player had his death machine set on the Kill Paul's Fucking Head setting.
He and his jubbly butt buddy played for a solid hour and a half or two hours.
Jess and Danielle arrived with their respective entourages (Libby, Gautham, Robert, others),  in tow, my headache got worse, Danielle shared some wonderful news, Jess projected some of her insecurities onto me and I went home.
I'll skip the constant interjections involving the status of my health and just tell you that the whole of the weekend could have been more fun it I were not sick.
Duh.
Saturday and Sunday both felt the same as far as waking dozens of times during the night, then rising around one or two, feeling unrested and put upon.
"Fucking Nine Inch Nails" Christina and I muttered back and forth to one another "...not having a fucking show in New York City...fucking Trent fucking Reznor...have to take the fucking train to the fucking bus...fucking fuck..."
Etc.
For both shows, we arrived at our seats just as the opener, Street Sweeper Social Club (Boots Reilly and Tom Morello from RATM's side project...think RATM without Zach Dela Roche making you feel like an asshole who slaughtered his people of the Sun, who were, despite what Dela Roche would have you believe, not all that cool) came on.
They put on a great show including an excellent cover of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes".
We had just enough time beforehand to pay $6 for water, $7 for a hot dog, $4 for a cup of coffee and $40 for a t-shirt that Christina felt the urge to complain about the quality of loudly in front of the merch people.
I don't really care about their feelings per se, I'm sure they're lovely people, but it just makes me feel more like an American Asshole spending $40 on a shirt.
But then again, women like to shop!
They shop like crazy!
And they're bad with money and cars!!
There...how about that?
Sucks don't it.
Where the fuck was I?
Oh yes, since this production was nothing compared to the other four or so tours I've seen them on (no screens or moving lights, maybe a handful of LED strips etc.), there was a fifteen minute change over between SSSC and NIN.
I'll spare you the details since none of you give a shit and just say that I enjoy the bells and whistles of NIN a lot (especially when the bells and whistles include gigantic fucking mobile LED screens and interactive set pieces) and I think that both shows were lacking a certain...flair.
BUT
that was almost fully compensated for by the ridiculously varied set lists.
Between the two nights, we got over half of The Downward Spiral, three quarters of Broken, a Gary Neuman cover, a David Bowie cover (no Bowie though, I am crushed to say) and some other really great shit.
Seats for the first show were alright, a bit right of the stage and maybe fifty feet away, but the second night was worth the exorbitant ticket price: a hair off center and maybe 25 feet from the stage.
There were one or two songs I had heard they were playing that I would have freaked if I'd seen them, but all in all, not a bad send off for Nine Inch Nails.
Highlights included "Metal", "I Do Not Want This", "Mr. Self Destruct", "1,000,000", "Burn", "The Way Out Is Through" and "The Downward Spiral".
Boy howdy and damn betcha.
We skipped Jane's Addiction the first night and watched two or three songs the second night.
Meh.
Heroin is SO passé.
Then we went home and ate some delicious homemade chicken chili.
Thus ends My Busy Weekends for the Summer.
From this point on, you come to me or you go and fuck yourself.

No comments: