9.02.2014

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - August 2014

Nine Inch Nails

A scathing review, you say? Replete with blurry photos, you say?! Good lord! You've struck gold!!!!
Yes, I saw Nine Inch Nails TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW and was treated to the EXACT SAME SHOW BOTH NIGHTS. More about that in my pissy, unappreciative and yet completely unbiased review.
I have to say that writing for SoundBlab is, a least a little, reining in my more...fuckranty urges. For better or worse.

More bad news: I had (stupidly) assumed that, since the film was coming out October 3rd, that the soundtrack for Gone Girl would be out, at the very latest, October 7th, the Tuesday after the film's release date.
Ha.
Ha ha.
No.
Apparently, we're looking at a release date at the end of November. Which means TWO shitty things: first, more time for the hype machine to chew up and spit out the new Reznor/Ross music and, second, that there's not going to be a fucking blip about the uber deluxe Fragile rerelease this September, which marks the fifteenth anniversary of the album.
Time to buckle down for that 2019 release.
God fucking cunt damn it.

Beck

Go listen to Morning Phase some more.



Had a bit of a Bands-I-Got-Into-In-The-90's Music Concert Fest* this month. The first...well, you know all about that, but, seeing Tori Amos on the 13th at the Beacon made up for a lot of poisoned nostalgia. Here's the review (also replete with blurry photos). Nutshell: while she remains a fantastic force of nature to see live, I should have seen her the night before, as I was a lot more familiar with her set on the 12th.

Finally had a chance to sit down with Sonno, the most recent release from Alessandro Cortini, might have a review soon.

Did not have a chance to sit down with the new New Pronographers album, Brill Bruisers, this month, although I am very much looking forward to doing so.

And, finally, out of fucking nowhere, and through a series of odd marketing choices, one of which was a blimp, a new Aphex Twin album, Syro, the first in 13 years, has been announced. It's out September 23th.
If you don't know about how batshit insane Richard D. James (AKA Aphex Twin) is, you should treat yourself and do a little research. He's gloriously insane.
While I don't think it's possible for him to top his last album, Drukqs, I'm just glad to have him and his "thousands of unreleased albums" back on the scene...the fucking mad man.





* I figured when the title of the thing you're reading is "End of the Month Music Bitchfest", that you're expectations have already been sufficiently mitigated, so, yeah. I'm also not wearing pants as I type this.

No comments: