6.26.2013

A review of Young Magic's "Melt"


























Almost done with the Totnes Haul Reviews...
This one was all Chris, but, in the spirit of completionism and all that, I decided to check it out as well.

The whole album feels very mythic and wide open, with the first track ("Sparkly") perfectly setting up the whole work for the listener. The second track, "Slip Time", one of my favorite tracks, has some really great programming and sampling going on, sounding a bit chaotic at times, but bringing everything together beautifully. "You With Air" has a strong feeling of Beck-ishness which is always fine with me.
The entire album feels very barefoot. It also makes me think that I don't want to meet the members of Young Magic. I don't know...something about the wide-eyed earnestness and sincerity inherent in the lyrics and the music itself makes me think I would be rolling my eyes the whole time. Doesn't mean I don't like what they've created here though...
After "Jam Karet", which is a bit clacky for my tastes, the album tends to blur together a bit, although it finishes strong with "Sanctuary" and "Drawing Down The Moon".

Something interesting I picked up on was that, in most of the songs, the music took precedence over the lyrics, sometimes to the point where you could barely hear them. I found that to be a very telling choice; it made me think that these guys are humble, something refreshing in this genre of music.
That or someone fucked up the mix in ProTools*.
Whatever.

This was an interesting album; not for everybody, but with a pretty high degree of aaccessibility.
If I don't seem to really have a strong opinion about this, it's because, as I mentioned before, I'm just sort of doing this to wrap things up, it doesn't reflect on the album or anything.





* Dirty Beaches has a funny story about a ProTools mishap...

No comments: