5.31.2013

A review of Purity Ring's "Shrines"




















Yet another Totnes find...I think...details are beginning to get blurry for me.
This is one of the half dozen or so purchases that I consider Christina's, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give it a spin.
What's the fucking point of getting married if you can't listen to your spouse's music?
Exactly, there is none.

At first, I'm struck by how fresh and bright the album sounds, sunlight on water, but I am well aware that, at any moment, her voice could get terribly annoying.
Eventually, I realize that the lyrics are really quite dark, clashing with the warm, fuzzy sounds.
The reverse keyboard thing gets tiresome after the third song, and yet, despite my dislike of this choice, continues throughout the majority of the album.
WT fuck, Purity Ring?
At one point, I decide that Megan James (lead singer of Purity Ring) sounds like a young Inara George (lead singer of The Bird and The Bee), but only a moment or so before I decide that she actually sounds like a young GladOS (at least at the beginning of "Cartographist").
Up to this point (three tracks from the end), while I haven't been annoyed, I haven't really been staggered with this album either. There is variety here, but a lot of it seems to rely way too heavily on "sort of 80's" synths and that tiresome-after-the-third-song reverse keyboard thing, but James breaks out of her usual cadence on "Obedear" and I find myself paying attention again, even more so with the penultimate track, "Lofticries", which adds some really great chord progression to that new found cadence.
The album ends with what might be the darkest track, "Shuck" and then I go back and listen to the whole thing again, just to solidify my opinion that, yes, the whole thing is okay, but that it really shines at the end.
It's a delightful surprise that, at no point, was I so annoyed by her voice that I had to stop listening.
And I mean that as a compliment.
A shitty compliment from a shitty person.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you heard their cover of Soulja Boy's "Grammy"? It is off the chaaaaaaaaain.