3.18.2013

Some Pun Involving The Word 'Target'

I had my third session with Target this morning recording the intro to their award submission and their case study for the Everyday Collection campaign.
Good times.
I also met Grace, the sexy whisperer in the TV and radio ads.
British.
Who knew?

Tomorrow, I have a tasty three hour chunk with Speakaboos and then three days of screaming, bloody panic as the wedding looms.

But enough about that.

MEDIA

I recently finished watching Full Metal Alchemist.
At times the lack of progress in that show was obnoxious, but, in the end, I suppose they wrapped things up nicely...I suppose. I love the Japaneseishness of it; the weird little freak outs and strange behavior. Armstrong, for instance, what the fuck was going on there? And why do all of the best Japanese heroes eat so much food? I'm thinking of Ed Elric, but also of Mugan and Jin in Samurai Champloo (which still might be my favorite anime, thank you Phil).
Such an odd culture...

I also just finished the second season of American Horror Story. Not as amazing as the first. Less obliteratingly sexy maids than I would have liked, although Satanic whore nuns that rape Voldemort's brother? An acceptable substitute. Acceptable.
It was very fun to see (most of) the cast from season one playing different characters. Can someone please give Jessica Lange an award?
Oh, and, if anyone had a problem with the insane amount of misogyny in season two, I'm sure that'll be addressed and toned down for season three...which takes place in Salem...most likely during the witch trials (is that capitalized?), but I wouldn't put it past the show to not bring up witches at all during the season and focus more on Yetis (is that capitalized?).

Other than that I have just finished the most recent Dresden Files book and I think I might just have to stop reading until all twenty six or whatever are out. While each book is its own thing, the ante just keeps getting upped...Butcher has talked about his "big, apocalypse trilogy" and I cannot wait for that to happen. One thing all this forced patience has taught me is to have pity on those poor bastards waiting for Dickface to finish the Fire and Ice books. Man, what a dong. I've said it before and I'll say it again, King was dragging his ass on those last three Dark Tower books until someone hit him with a fucking van.
So.
I'm not encouraging this behavior.
But.
You know.
Squeaky wheel, grease, etc.

I also had the surprising delight to watch Dredd recently.
Wow.
Okay, first off, I decided to watch this movie for one reason and one reason only: I had heard that Matt Berry's "Theme for Snuff Box" was used in it, not once, but twice. Now, if you've heard this song, then you know just how odd of a choice that sounds like and how intriguing the possibilities are.
So, yeah.
Guys...this is a really solid action movie. It's not even a dumb action movie, they did a great job.
First off, the plot completely justifies the use of 3D.
To be fair, I wasn't in on any of the meetings (AGAIN) and maybe this whole movie was build around 3D, BUT, even if that's the case...way to go Hollywood.
See, there's this drug called "slo-mo" that, when smoked, slows down time to 1% of its normal speed for the user.
Gratuitous slow motion and 3D justified in ONE SENTENCE.
I've only read a few Judge Dredd comics and pretty much everyone has been ridiculous and I'd seen the Stallone movie...which I'm going to stop thinking about*, so, my expectations were gub.
But, this wasn't a story about Judge Dredd; it was a Judge Dredd story.
More specifically a Judge Dredd story co-starring a smoking little redhead telepath who also knows kung fu.
The sets and tech and costumes are all amazing, perfect.
And, back to the 3D, when it's used, it's used sparingly and effectively...which I think might be a first in Hollywood movies.
The villain was pretty solid as well: she had pathos and ethos.
PATHOS AND ETHOS.
She didn't go over the top or have a monologue or anything like that, she was just cold and hard and scary...mainly because she bit this dude's dick off.
...pathos...
There was also one of the better uses of the "hacker" stock character as well. Yes, he was in a crazy looking server room with a huge bank of monitors set up in front of him, but his mannerisms and character depth were just great, nothing like our typical "computer nerd" or whatever.
Plus, he was listening to that Matt Berry song I mentioned.
Occasionally, there were some silly moments...like Urban's constant Stallone Snarl for no real reason, his accent bleeds through a bit at times...and a whole lot at other times (the first word spoken is "America" and it sounds nothing but British in his mouth), plus, the hot psychic actually says the line, "Wearing a helmet interferes with my psychic abilities"...which kind of sums up the whole movie right there.
I don't know, I could keep going, but it's been a while and all I remember is how solid the whole thing was...and then how sad I was when I found out that they are probably not going to do a sequel.
*sigh*

And, finally, last night I watched Argo, which was also pretty solid. Very glad to have avoided that "Argo fuck yourself" meme/quote/reference thing as it could have gotten old fast. Did anyone else notice that Ben Affleck didn't smile once in the film? Must have been the director's decision...
And Bryan Cranston? Cursing? Pure money gold.
Here's hoping we'll get some more cool CIA operations declassified so we can watch more cool movies.

All right.
I've done enough thinking.
Time to read some comic books.





* Except for the cameo by the amazing Ian Dury which is the only reason to ever watch that movie.

No comments: