7.27.2012

More Batman (and some other stuff)

As I'd mentioned before, I saw DKR for a second time on Sunday with Jen and Chris.
Beforehand, Jen and I watched some Batman: The Animated Series because that is what one does.
After coming home from the movie, I broke out my Batman Beyond DVDs in order to watch the episode in which Ra's al Ghul comes back in Talia's body in order to convince Bruce Wayne to live with her and use the Lazarus Pit in order to regain his youth.
Excellent, excellent episode.
After that, I watched a few more.
You know, I sometimes forget how great that show was. Much like BTAS, it's aged very well; it's a bit cheesy here and there (the seemingly obligatory anti-drug episode especially) but the writing and voice acting is rock solid in most cases.
And the actors?
In one random episode, the cast included Robert Patrick, Stephen Baldwin and William H. Macy.
Tight.
And, while the new villains the show introduced are all right, I'm always a sucker for the episodes which feature the villains from Batman's original rogue's gallery, like Mr. Freeze or Ra's al Ghul. The idea that these guys are still threats decades after Batman first fought them gives the whole universe a wonderful sense of cohesion.
In a recent list of Batman movies that were never made, a Batman Beyond movie was mentioned and, according to random internet flatulence, this next reboot is going to shoot for a younger cast... I must say that a Batman Beyond movie would be a great way to ameliorate some of the fans' hatred directed at the idea of rebooting the franchise so soon after such a masterful showing.
It'd rub salve on my ass in any case.

In non-Batman related news*, I was reflecting on that Cardiovascular Institute VO I had last week. Usually, when I go into a VO audition, there is copy with specs. The specs are usually the most banal shit you hear me rant about ("friendly...not announcery...with a hint of a smile..."), but the specs of this consisted of five words: Strong. Confident. Humble. Quiet. Honest. The fact that I booked it felt pretty good. Not that I really believe I''m any of these things, really...but someone somewhere, at the Cardiovascular Institute, thinks I can sound that way.
So I'm going to count that as a victory.

This weekend shall include saying goodbye to two dear friends, Jim and Jen, who are moving to fucking Hawaii. Honestly, it'll be less of a "we're sad to see you go" party and more of a "you lucky assholes" party.
But a party is a party.
And we...like...to party...we like...we like to party.
And then, on Sunday, going to Jersey to help Chris with the last of her mom's furniture.
Which should be just as fun, or MORE fun, than said party.
As long as I'm drunk.

Picked up Silent Hill: Downpour against better judgement as well as the new Amazing Spider-Man game which serves as an epilogue to the movie of the same name, so now I have to see the movie. I think I'm doing that next weekend with Jen and anyone else who's interested.
This was spurred on by my recent watching of tonnes of the mid-90's Spider-Man animated show, which, get ready, is pretty good.
Not really the writing or the animation, both are pretty sloppy and childish, but the scope of the thing...
One recent episode featured Morbius, Blade and the Punisher (all of who were majorly nerfed so as not to scare the kiddies-- you hear a lot of "get him" and "destroy him", but never "kill him"-- but still) and, the one I watched last night, had Venom, Carnage, Baron Mordo (Tony Jay!), Dormammu, Iron Man and fucking War Machine (who was voiced by none other than James "Uncle Phil/Shredder" Avery), and it managed not to feel pointless with all these characters in it. Very well done.
Plus,each season after the first is one cohesive story (to a point), with reoccurring themes and actual character development...it's nowhere near as good as BTAS but it's leagues better than X-Men.

And, in about eighteen minutes, I'm off to grab Neuromancer for Chris and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, the Philip K. Wang collection so as to see where Total Recall came from before it was a bad movie and, hopefully, a not-as-bad movie in August.

Finally, my good friend Phil has embarked upon a crazy writing challenge, one that will hopefully bear crazy fruits.
Keep a look out over at his site transientme.com.

I'm out.












*You may go.

No comments: