8.24.2009

Can't think of a thing to say...


8.24.09
10:19 pm
I've just finished reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.
In my experience, one concrete way to gauge if I really really love a book (or short story or novella etc.) is by my desire for it not to end.
Or, more correctly, for it to continue without an end; to be able to close one story and open another to find the same characters moving forward in the same universe.
It struck me as I finished The Graveyard Book, that this happens almost every time I finish a work by Neil Gaiman.
This guy...is just nuts.
He needs to just write some massive book bringing all these amazing characters together.
The really nutty thing is: he never really does anything totally novel or original, he just takes what's old and busted and makes it into the new hotness.
Like I said: nuts.
I recommend you read The Graveyard Book if you have not already.
I've had it on my shelf for the better part of a year and only after I heard it beat out Anathem for the Hugo did I even remember t was there.
It had sort of slipped from my mind, something that brings a smile to my face after meeting and getting to know the protagonist.
I also enjoy Gaiman's friendship with Tori Amos.
And with Jonathan Ross.
I feel as if all his works, in some part, contain elements of both of these people.
Usually more Tori than Ross, but she shimmers underneath a lot of his best work.
She really is a modern day muse.
I like the image of Tori and Neil just hanging out.
She's writing a song, he's writing a short story.
Then they just switch.
"Why don't you sing about Morpheus in this verse?" he suggests.
"Why not make Death a spunky, little redhead?" she counters.
I used to picture this in my head when I was younger, the bands and artists I loved working with each other.
When Reznor popped up on "Past The Mission" and then later on Bowie's "Outside" I had this strange, awesome feeling that, slowly but surely, all the artist's I loved were about to announce some massive, genre-melting, industry-redeeming project.
Never really happen though.
I'd still love to see Bowie, Tori and Reznor do something (the second part of the ""trilogy" Bowie started with "Outside" anyone?), just as I'd love to see eels and Beck collaborate.
Beck did cover "Diamond Dogs" and remix "Seven" though, so, that's something.
This Record Club thing I mentioned before would be an excellent opportunity for Beck to Bowie it up.
Can't really picture TMBG really jamming with any of these guys, but who knows?
Someone did make a mash up of "Particle Man" and "Closer"...
Aaaaaand speaking of Bowie and Nine Inch Nails...tomorrow and Wednesday are the final Nine Inch Nails shows in New York...EVER.
At least according to Reznor.
Whatever the case.
I will fucking be there, front and center.
Their first show at the Bowery was a crazy 27 song set and the second night at Webster Hall they played The Downward Spiral in its entirety, front to back, something that's never been done before.
No Bowie though.
And honestly, I don't know why I'm expecting him, but...godfuckingdamnithowfuckingcoolwouldthatbe?
Jesus.
Pretty jazzed over here.
Pretty jazzed.
Jazzed.

No comments: