2.28.2017

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - February 2017

Nine Inch Nails
While Reznor's army of slouched and defeated fans wait for Firebrand Media/Gnarlywood LLC/SATAN HIMSELF to fulfil their fucking promise of a "first week of January" delivery for the "physical component" of the Not The Actual Events EP*, I forgot to mention last month that I'm seeing these mooks in July at the Panorama Festival. Let's try and avoid "The Hand That Feeds", shall we Trent? As appropriate as it may be, there are a bunch of other songs that would work just as well or better, namely "Letting You", "Survivalism", "Capital G", "Beginning of the End"...actually, most of Yero Zero has become frighteningly relevant.
Moving on.

Beck
NEW ALBUM COMING SOON! NO TITLE, TRACKLIST OR RELEASE DATE!
BUT! SOME SHIT HE DID IN 2011 FOR I AM NUMBER FOUR APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE!
LISTEN HERE!!!

Eels
Bobby Jr. died.

They Might Be Giants
Total silence.
Creeping numbness.

St. Vincent
St. Vincent** put out a Mixtape Delivery Service for Prince and I checked that out. While it's always nice to hear people talking about the Purple Banana, I could have done with a few deeper cuts, or, you know, something from the last twenty years.

As a result of playing Watch Dogs 2 and the horrors occurring in the world, I've been listening to a lot of electronica. Squarepusher and Plaid mostly. It's been a lovely (and distracting) blend of blippy sharp cold circuitry, warm mellifluous watery washes, and combinations of each to varying degrees, and it's been very helpful. I've curated a three and a half hour playlist spanning their combined discographies and I recommend you do the same.

Next, I'll be seeing Garbage (YAY!) and Blondie (meh) at the Beacon Theater (yuck) in August (yarg)***. I'll be sure to tell you about that...in six months. Get ready.

Also, Marilyn Manson forgot to put out his new album****. Probably better that way...

Finally, I'll be reviewing the primordial ooze from which Coil sprang AKA the 2017 reissue of Transparent. Look for a review of Soundblab in the coming days. Oh boy is this not for casual listeners...or maybe even people with functioning ears...


* IT'S JUST A FUCKING ENVELOPE FULL OF SOOT AND FUCKING LYRICS SHEETS YOU FUCKING IDIOTS. HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP?

** Whose new album, due out in a few months, might just be called "CVRTAIN".

*** Ball sweat. Ignore me.

**** I'm going to try and get away without ever saying the name of the album because it might be the silliest thing he's ever uttered...I think, I 'd have to go back through those last three steaming piles before The Pale Emperor to be sure, but I won't! And you cannot make me.

No comments: