10.02.2014

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - September 2014

Nine Inch Nails

Just a few days ago, Reznor & Ross released their latest score for the latest Fincher film adaptation of a popular literary work, namely, Gone Girl.
Still sitting with it, but, overall, it's a lot more subtle than their previous work on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, for better or worse. Planning on seeing the movie as soon as it's out as I'm curious just how much of the score will be utilized. After the weirdness with Dragon Tattoo (the fact that, of the 39-track, two hour and fifty-four minute score, I'd say less than a quarter of it was actually in the film), I find myself pensive.
Here's the whole thing on NPR.
Should be a review up soon.

All my other bands are either touring, recording new stuff, in post-tour hibernation or douchebags, so I'll leave it at that.

As I'm now doing reviews for SoundBlab, I have experienced some new stuff this month: the first is the new album by the band Maxi Bacon. The album, Maci Baxon, is what a lot of people would call unlistenable.
Those people are cowards.
Read the review and then listen, if you dare.

Then, there's the latest from industrial noise artist/pretty, blonde New Yorker, Margaret Chardiet aka Pharmakon. While the story of her new album, Bestial Burden, is pretty amazing, the flatness of the album itself doesn't really do it justice. Review just went up on SoundBlab.

Finally, the brand new, not-as-amazing-as-Drukqs Aphex Twin album, Syro was released as well. This is Richard D. James' first album as Aphex Twin in thirteen years, and I didn't love it. REVIEW HERE.

Over the next few days or so, aside from the Gone Girl score review, I'll also be reviewing the new A Winged Victory For The Sullen album, Atomos, which accompanied the Wayne McGregor dance piece of the same name and the brand new, completely out of the blue Thom Yorke album, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes (from which you can check out the darkly hypnotic video for "Brain In A Bottle" as well as see how Yorke is, yet again, trying to revolutionize how music is distributed to the fans, here).

And, if you thought this was a bit of a lackluster month, don't blame me, blame the bands I like for not spacing out their release and touring schedules to better suit my writing goals.
Twats.

No comments: