7.31.2014

End of the Month Music Bitchfest - July 2014

Nine Inch Nails

As of this moment, the 2014 NIN/Soundgarden tour has started. I know nothing at all about anything on the stage or the setlist* and I'm not going to do anything to change that before I see them tomorrow and Saturday.
So: I'm going to take a moment to make some predictions regarding what I'll be seeing in a matter of hours.

"Head Like A Hole", preceded by "The Hand That Feeds", closing with "Hurt".
"Terrible Lie", "March of the Pigs", "Closer", "Wish", "Burn", "Reptile", "Copy Of A", "Came Back Haunted" and not nearly enough from Year Zero or The Fragile.

Beck

Beck released a brand new song this month!
Seriously though, while I think the whole thing was an interesting experiment, I'd, obviously, much rather have had Beck record and release on a compact disc the entire album.
Hopefully, he'll wrap his (amazing) tour up soon and get back to slowly...painfully...releasing those 12" records until we have enough to constitute an album. About which I shall complain.
I should have a (completely fair and 100% unbiased or bitchy) review of Song Reader up soon.

Just when I thought he was done making them, Beck releases what might be the best music video I've seen in years. It's beautiful and heartbreaking and reflective and I'm crying. It's a perfect summation of his twenty plus years of being Beck.
Beck's "Heart Is A Drum" music video.

As I mentioned last month, I saw Beck perform at SummerStage on July 1st and my review (plus pictures) are up on SoundBlab, a UK-based music site to which I am contributing.
Weird, right?
Here's my fantastic review and here's more fantastic pictures.

Pretty slow month for my other favorite bands. Eels has just wrapped up their world tour thing, They Might Be Giants are selling a new t-shirt but should have a new album(s) announcement very soon and Cake is a band that, occasionally, plays music, though, not in front of people.

Because of this drought, I spent a little time this month with the new Sia album (more or less enjoyable, but sometimes her voice sounds a bit too wheezy, like she has a punctured lung and is leaking air), the new DEAD MOUSE album (mainly I checked it out because Pitchfork blasted it for sounding too much like NIN...which, if done well, is a not a problem for me as I usually don't care for DEAD MOUSE'S usual stuff, and, seriously, if an artist wants to do an album that feels like a nod to one of his favorite artists, who the fuck are Pitchfork to get shitty about it? They actually complained that one or two of the songs ended with "the audible sound of piano pedals and that that was 'lifted' from "Avril 14th" by Aphex Twin...who have worked with Nine inch Nails". Sometimes I think those cunts are just blasting shit to get whiny assholes like me to call them out) and, finally, the new Phish album, Fuego.
Man, is this a great album. So fresh and joyous and Phish-y. These guys know what they're good at and continue to be good at it. The title track, "Winterqueen" (which feels like something by Eels), "The Line" and "Wombat" are all standouts, that last one reminding me strongly of Moxy Fruvous featuring the Beastie Boys with some 70's funk dust on it. The horns and choir singers sprinkled throughout the album go a long way to making something already great even better. I'm envious of the potheads who listen to this while high; it must be amazing.

I had a chance to review the latest from Electric Sewer Age, an amazing, horrifying nightmare journey through infection entitled Bad White Corpuscle, but you'll never hear it or read the review I posted on SoundBlab, so why would I put the link to said review right here?
I wouldn't.
Tool.

Finally, August it nuts to butts with concerts; Nine Inch Nails two days in a row, then St. Vincent in Brooklyn and then Tori Amos at the fucking Beacon**.
I'll tell you more if I decide I like you.





* Except that "Disappointed" has been played, and that's only because Reznor tweeted about it...the vain fuck.

** Goddamn it I hate the fucking Beacon so much.

No comments: