5.03.2014

A review of Eels' "The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett"
























Of Eels' recent albums, my least favorite was End Times. There was a lack of depth and polish that felt slapdash rather than raw and, when most every song on an album is about the different ways E is sad, well, it all kind of blurs together. It had a few really solid tracks on it, but a lot of it didn't stand out in my mind.
Cautionary Tales is a better version of End Times. There's more orchestration and more effort here, but the overwhelming sense of "haven't we been here before? Haven't we covered this already?" kept distracting me from most of it.

I wish the rest of the album sounded like the instrumental opening track, "Where I'm At", a soft and sad and beautiful piece that reminds me of elements of Daisies of the Galaxy, or, to be more specific, the live show build around Daisies. But, even though there is an orchestra credited for helping to create the album, I felt like a lot of Cautionary Tales wasn't utilizing said orchestra.
There is some good stuff here, namely "Parallels", "Kindred Spirit" (even though it sounds so much like "In My Dreams" that I have to check myself every time it comes on*) and "Answers", which features the always-lovely celeste and some really nice orchestration as well a lovely choral moment or two.
On the other hand, there's tracks like "Series of Misunderstands", that is so lacking in lyrical flow that I can barely sit through it, "Dead Reckoning" which feels too grandiose for this album and packs a strong vibe of "I'm crying! Again! Look! But this time, I'm lamenting all my horrible life choices in front of a full orchestra! This is powerful!" and "Gentleman's Choice" where there appear to be something stuck in E's throat. Not emotion...maybe...steak?
The deluxe edition, which features a second disc containing 13 tracks, five of which are brand new**, has a few gems on it. "Bow Out" (quiet, dark and brave), "Good Morning Bright Eyes" (shimmering and upbeat) and "Millicent Don't Blame Yourself" (perfect example of a simple, good Eels song), none of which really seem to fit on this album, probably should have been included on the album for just that reason.

With regards to the overwrought nature of a lot of this album; listening to someone sing a sad song or lyric ("Every day I live in regret and pain", "the life that I've led / I'm better off dead" etc.) isn't enough for me. It's too obvious. Hearing someone sing a song about trying to live despite that sadness or attempting to overcome it and having difficulties or outright failing is always more compelling. I feel like too much of what E has chosen to put on this album is the former.
I know E has been through enough tragedy to last any one man several lifetimes, but I think, after almost twenty years, I'm just about done hearing him sing about it, especially when it's all been done better, by him, years ago.





* Same with "Lockdown Hurricane" and "End Times".

** One, "Millicent Don't Blame Yourself", has been played live, but has never gotten an official release.

No comments: