11.09.2010

Cat People!

11.9.10
3:52 pm
Actually, after speaking to James Cameron, he informed that "Cat People!" was going to be the name of "Avatar", but David Bowie threatened to sue him, so he tried for "Putting Out The Fire With Allegory", but Bowie got real mad, so he went with "Avatar".
True story.
Unlike "Avatar", which is what one might call an allegory.
A thinly-veiled, beautiful, obvious allegory.
Which totally patches things up between the White Man and everybody the White Man has EVER fucked over.
Thanks, James.
Watched said thinly-veiled, beautiful etc. this weekend with Christina.
Also watched "The Neverending Story".
Wow is that still a creepy ass movie.
Falcor = screaming nightmare.
Atreyu = tasty boy meat.
Bastian = wet pants pussy boy
And so on.
ALSO (as Chris was in the mood to simply relax this week after the hurricane of the past few months) we watched "Moon", which I had already seen in theaters with Ray.
Excellent, excellent movie.
Highly recommend it.
Again.
AANNDD, we also took in "Slither". Which was fun as hell, (Nathan Fillion...Fillian...Mal from Firefly is amazing) but not as disgusting as it was made out to be.
Very Neo-Troma, but with a bigger budget and less boobies.
And the DVD extras were hilarious, they seemed to be having so much fun on this movie.
Then, after Chris has passed out on the couch from Media Overexposure, I finally sat down with my copy of the The Social Network score on Blu Ray in 5.1.
There was quite a battle leading up to this, but I'll nutshell it.
The BD arrived about two weeks late and then wouldn't work in my 5.1, switching off the center and rear speakers as soon as I pressed play.
So, I went to the Internet and started a thread in the nin.com forums about this.
Eventually, there were several other folks who had ended up having the same problem.
After a few days, electro-Jesus came through and told people (with a PS3) to change an option that no one had thought of and, BAM, problem solved.
It was worth the wait.
There wasn't anything new added to the 5.1 mix, but you could hear elements that had before been buried in the stereo mix much more clearly.
Plus, since it was Reznor doing the mixing and he loves this format, there was a lot of dynamism added.
Just another reason I'm out of my skin with excitement with the (eventual) release of The Fragile deluxe edition.
That shit in 5.1?
Cancel my Monday, friends...cancel my Monday. 
At work, I'd been splitting my time between re-reading Ennis' Punisher Max* run (makes me terribly sad to see how perfectly this guy can do Punisher while Hollywood manages to fuck it up three times in as many decades. If they would just make his ten story arcs into ten HBO mini-movies or something, not only would Ennis get some mad props for his work, but the Punisher could finally get his day on screen.) and all of the Deadpool comics (which is getting a bit old. He's less blood-thirsty than everyone makes him out to be, but occasionally well written and genuinely funny...sometimes. I'd love to see a Max book for him.), but thanks to one Philip "PHD" Tucker, I now have Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company to burn through.
About 700 pages.
A bit thick and disjointed after reading comics for a month, but excellent nonetheless.
Very fun characters.
Makes me want to role play in the world.
AND, if I absolutely love this book (which collects the first three books in the series) there's a bunch more I can dine upon.
I hope this book continues to hold my attention as today I am tested with the release of the new Stephen King, Full Dark, No Stars (the cover of which isn't nearly as cool as the title), which is his first collection of novellas since...whoa, since Different Seasons? Can that be right? Damn.
Very excited about that as I find his novellas tend to be the perfect length for him. Not enough pages to get too rambly (or too big-big, iffin ya will, do ya kin ya, bink bink) and not so short as to leave the reader feeling unsatisfied; characters and stories have a chance to develop and flourish without going off the rails.
Might also pick up the new Butcher and the most recent Palahniuk, although my interest has cooled a bit on that one.
Might even pick up The World According To Garp, as I saw the movie a few weeks ago and I could see the Irving-ness shining through the desperate attempt at making a John Irving novel into a movie.
Very weird thing about that movie...the trailer has baby dick in it.
Were trailers back then just...I don't know...allowed to show baby dick?
That's really creepy.
No wonder everyone did cocaine then.
But, yeah, like the movie version of Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, you could tell the script was based on something really good.
Three days until I take flight from this festering pit of retarded mole rats.
'Nuff said.


7:40 pm
Fucking hell.
Over my break, I spent forty minutes at Best Buy.
About nine minutes finding Scott Pilgrim and about thirty one NOT finding the goddamn dual mini headphone jack adapter or splitter for everyone who isn't a dick.
Best Buy is a sweaty asshole fuckbox.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying to your face and might even be an employee of Best Buy.
After leaving there, dejected, I went one minute out of my way to the completely-empty-but-for-one-man Radio Shack down the street and was handed EXACTLY what I was looking for two minutes after I entered.
Another minute later and I was gone.
See, I understand Radio Shack employees have to work harder because they are SO much smaller and in danger of going out of business, but does that really excuse Best Buy employees from being lazy, ineffective, unaffected anal beads?
All signs point to yes, Consumer America!
And, yes, I am indeed aware that I am part of the problem, but, as I already stated, I am an American and allowed to be in support and opposition of several things at once, sometimes the exact same thing.
U! S! A!

U! S! A!
U! S! A!
Also picked up the new King, which has goddamn spoilers in the book jacket!
Wangs.
Oh, and Four Past Midnight was the most recent King novella collection.
But whatever.
According to the spoiltastic book jacket and the first line of the Afterword (and the title now that I take a step back), this is some of the darkest King in a while.
Darker than Bachman?
I'll let you know.
After I finish Black Company.
Toodles!!!

* A Marvel "Max"book simply means it's utterly R rated, which you need for a guy who's origin is that his family was killed in front of him and who's "power" is killing the fuck out of thousands of bad guys for the past thirty years or so.

No comments: